Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
OBD software comparisons - ECU/OBDII - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

OBD software comparisons

finnerty

I'm trying to decide between these (2) products for a PC-based OBD/Engine diagnostics package ----<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">ScanXL --- by ScanTool<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">(or)<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">EngineCheck --- by Gendan<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Does anyone have any experience using either, or both, of these packages? Pros vs. Cons, etc.?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repost to clarify....

I'm trying to decide between these (2) products for a PC-based OBD/Engine diagnostics package ----

"ScanXL" --- by ScanTool

(or)

"EngineCheck" --- by Gendan

Does anyone have any experience using either, or both, of these packages? Pros vs. Cons, etc.?

I did notice the software provided by Peter, and it is great for reading codes on the Esprit V8. However, the software I am referring to are full diagnostic packages which allow the user to view and analyze parameters in numerical format ---- they also allow display, storage, and playback of streaming data and sensor output values.

I don't know about Peter's package, but OBD-2.com (Vechicle Explorer) will work with all protocols and vehicles which are OBDII compliant. It also reads the enchanced Lotus data and stores the data to a PC. I've exported the data to Excel and then used Excel's graphing features to create graphs.

Wayne

The Older I get the Faster I was

Hi David,

Just to clarify some issues, my tool displays all available sensors from the V8 Esprit. You can also select up to 6 specific sensors out of all available sensors via a drop down list, allowing you to focus on those sensors you are really interested in. All sensor values read can be logged and saved as a CSV file that allows you to import into Excel and view in all the options Microsoft supplies in Excel. I even have a O2 sensor graph mode that allows you to select up to 4 of the O2 sensors to be displayed.

There is currently a beta release of my software that I have shared with a couple of users (received no feedback yet) that allows all the V8 relay systems to be activated (fans, fuel pumps, A/C, Recirculation pump, Engine light, overheat/low water light, etc.) and allows all the varies systems to be reset. My aim is to make this free tool the most comprehensive for V8 users.

I have used the Gendan software and its a nice package. I haven't used ScanXL so can't comment on it.

If you do go the ScanXL route, then please feedback on how you get on with it.

If you buy the Gendan, then the interface that comes with it is compatible with my software, so just download it and then you have the best of both worlds.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for elaborating the details Peter :)

Although I have been on this forum for a while, I'm not too active. The support folks at Gendan actually tipped me off about your software ---- so they are aware of you :)

Very nice folks at Gendan. I had asked them if your software can be imbedded into their package as an "enhancement", and they said no. However, at the time, I did not realize all the functionality that your software actually has ---- I mistakenly thought it merely was a "code reader".....albeit a comprehensive one for the V8 Esprit.

At this point, I am leaning toward purchasing the Gendan package, and then also taking advantage of your software to supplement the code database. I need an elm tool anyway, and Gendan's package (software + tool) is priced very reasonalbly.

The ScanTool products look pretty good too, but they add on some junk ---- "dyno-mometer" and "dragstrip" functionalities ---- which really don't serve any meaningful purpose. And, their GUI / format is somewhat annoying compared to the clean, no-nonsense format from Gendan. Also, my queries to both companies thus far have been met with excellent customer service responses from Gendan as opposed to the generic, non-technical, "email-a-tron", simplistic responses from ScanTool ----- that counts for a lot in my book because I like to ask a lot of questions :)

Peter's V8 software is fantastic, and I'd like to get the beta to try the relay systems - Peter?

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!