Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit HID kit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit HID kit

Bibs

Kit consists of the ballasts bulb units and wiring kit.

A projector will not fit due to depth unless your brave with the dremmel and are willing to change the rake of the lights.

I think if you want an easy way (and comparatively cheap) of getting considerably more light output from the existing set up then this is one way or alternatively run with higher wattage bulbs (these may need upgraded wiring). Higher wattage bulbs are also illegal though!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although I'm looking into this for everyone I'm no HID expert.

Would it work if just the dipped beams were replaced and the mains kept on normal bulbs? That way, obviously they'd still be ok for flashing people but you'd get better light and you'd not have to change the reflector either them. Job done for £49.95 + VAT + P&P?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Absolutely - provided you change the relay so that all 4 lights are on when on full beam then HID for dipped and normal for mains would be a good compromise. I have just done this on the Tesla so not volunteering to do it on my Esprit - anyone willing to be a guinea pig?

ello :)

I'm Yvo, the owner of elise-shop.com

Bibs invited me over here when he saw me running the deal at Seloc.

The story is as follows:

HID lamps are High Intensity Discharge lamps. People also call them Xenon lamps because there's a bubble inside the lamp which is partially filled with Xenon gas.

The HID conversion kits come with a so called ballast unit which is kind of an electronic transformer which raises the voltage from 12Volt to 15.000Volt to start the lamp. When the lamp gets to it's normal operating temperature, the voltage drops to approx. 90Volt.

What happens in the lamp is when the voltage goes up to 15.000Volts, an arc will form between the positive and negative connection. This is why you need this ultra high voltage. When the lamp gets hot, the gas gets more conductive which is why this ballast unit will bring the voltage down. These units are quite intelligent and not to be confused with a simple cascade or so.

Apart from my beloved Elise S1, I also own an Esprit S4s. I've converted that car to HID's years ago. At that time, the only thing available was H4 single lamps which was not quite good as these scatter quite heavily.

Currently, we've got Hi/Lo lamps which have been developed into an acceptable lamp for the ancient reflectors on the Esprit and the Elise S1.

You could just use one kit and replace the H4 bulb in the DIP beam reflector. This kit would be a Hi/Lo kit which means it's got an attuator wich pulls the actual lamp in when you switch to Main beam. Off course, this will only happen if the connector provides a signal for Main Beam.

If the standard wiring doesn't switch the lamp to main beam, you could always connect the main beam pin to the Hi/Lo kit, which would make it switch.

If you don't bother and just want good DIP beams, you can perfectly get away with one single kit.

If you want to go full blast (i.e. DIP's and Mains in HID) you have to buy two Hi/Lo kits and you would have to replace the sealed beam Main reflector for the standard reflector which is also used in an Elise S1. (the Elise S1 has a sidelight connection which you might use.

Hope this helps a little :)

Either I'm retarded or it's a UK thing (and yes, both could be true), but could someone define main and dip for me? I've only ever called them High and Low beams.

Also, Bibs/Yvo: are LHD kits available?

Edited by karmavore

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

my understanding is that main is "high" and dip is "low". For us in the US when running our high (or main), we have all 4 lamps on.

That's my understanding too, although I get the impression that the term 'sealed beam' means different things on either side of the Atlantic, since reflector degradation was the entire reason for what we called 'sealed beam' lights being required for so many years.

Edited by The Veg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Ahh yes, sealed beam. For the UK the term sealed beam is used to describe a headlight that doesn't have a seperate bulb, the whole light unit is essentially a giant bulb and when the filament fails the entire unit is replaced. These are usually fitted to older style cars and have an output of about two candles (of which one isn't lit!)

Your high/low - dip/main assumption is correct.

Ahh yes, sealed beam. For the UK the term sealed beam is used to describe a headlight that doesn't have a seperate bulb, the whole light unit is essentially a giant bulb and when the filament fails the entire unit is replaced. These are usually fitted to older style cars and have an output of about two candles (of which one isn't lit!)

Your high/low - dip/main assumption is correct.

Oh, that sounds like it IS what we have over here.

Hi Bibs,

There's no need to be a guinee pig as I know the inns and out about fitting them. i used to sell them on my old site. It's a little more tricky for the Esprit having pop up lights and in the end, I decided that the cons outweighed the pros.

The pros:-

1. high intesity light and for driving

2. uses less power once lit

3. Lights further than halogen bulb

Cons:-

1. Fitting is more difficult than standard car as you have to decide where you are going to fit the ballast.

2. Fitting ballast in pod will increase the bounce of the headlight pod.

3. Fitting ballast in boot requires a longer lead which is a special wire. It normally comes in a preset length which determines where you have to fit ballast.

4. With the Hi-Lo beam, it requires additional wiring direct to battery. This can be overcome by locating a permanent live and earth but all HID kits state that you must connect direct to battery. not sure how much this is an issue?

5. If your headlight lens gets dirty then the discharge of the lamp starts to dazzle oncoming traffic. This is why you should have washers on your headlights.

6. With having reflector lamps and not projector type, it can be difficult to set your beam so they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. It changes the beam pattern in some cases too. Sometimes you can specify when ordering your H4 HID kits to have a anti-dazzle piece over the end of the bulb. I know you can get these for H7 kits but not sure about H4?

if you want to do both sides then it obviously a bit of a problem fitting two sets of ballasts.

I had this discussion a few years ago and most people decided to go for 100W bulbs. I took my HID out of my car due to headlight bounce and stuck 100W bulbs instead. They've been in for alomst 5 years now and Iam pleased with the results. For £10 and the amount of time I use my car for night time driving, it's more than enough and 10 times better than standard bulbs.

I've never had a problem with MOT's or police or dazzling oncoming traffic.

Oh, the other reason i decided not to push HID kits was the old argument about the legality about self levelling and headlight washers. I know the latter is quite important for practical reasons.

I hope some of this is of use.

David Walters

What does the battery lead do? The H7 kit I installed in a motorbike a couple of years ago simply plugged into the standard headlight connector, no other connections necessary.

Some HID kits require extra juice to fire up, so the battery connection supplies this potentially spiky voltage. There's a positive post behind the windscreen pillar trim, so grabbing a good quality feed from there isn't a huge issue.

The H4 is a High Low and is a requirement on this kit. It has two filaments and I guess it may have something to do with the motor inside the bulb to switch from low to high or as Graham suggested. I've fitted H7's and H1's as well and it's a simple plug and play system and takes about 30-60mins. The H4 take longer and you have two extra wires direct to your battery (as the instructions say).

Pull the door seal off and remove the A pillar trim. The post is at the bottom just looks like a bit of studding with a few nuts on it and a couple of big cables . You might need the binicle off as well.

post-1261-0-76478300-1293818939.jpg

Edited by mdw

• Gold FFM

Bibs,

I know you work quick...but is it too late to ask for a close up of the actual lighting assembly ? Would be nice to see the HID design. Thanks in advance.

Ta. Having a look, it seems that the ballasts can attach to the inside of the pod recess as the rear of the pod raises at the light lowers. I've test fit it and it seems ok to me, I'll give it a go and it saves hanging extra weight on the pod itself! :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Pull off the door rubber and peel back the leather overlap (be careful of marking your lovely new re-connolised leather) then the trim itself is held onto the car by three fairly crappy clips which are a push fit into the windscreen pillar.

(Useless phone photos, but you get the idea)

moto_0359.jpg

moto_0360.jpg

I'd rather run a cable to the battery than take the binnacle off I think!

Thanks for the pic, what holds the a pillar or, anything or do I just pry it off?

The leather rear edge of the A pillar trim is glued around the door aperture where the seal fits over. The front edge was just against the screen with a couple of those push in fittings ( cant remember the name).

Sorry should have read the last post :getmecoat:

Edited by mdw

I have been reading up on HID kits and also had spoken to another member on here, sometime ago as I wanted better lights.

I am not putting a downer on them but you need to be aware they are illegal with out self leveling and washers, I don't think you will get pulled over, but your insurrance company may use it as a loop hole, as you should notify them of the mod, and therefore they will expect it to meet the legal requirements, if not they will use it as a get out of jail card, if you make a claim.

Here is the link to the dept of transport Dept of transport

I am really not telling anyone what to do, but please be aware.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"