Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacing the water feed/return pipes ? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacing the water feed/return pipes ?

Hi Folks

This week I will going to replace the hoses and water feed/returne pipes (though chasses).

Does any one replaced the these pipes on Esprit Turbo 88 ?

And I wonder how easy or hard work to replace these pipes.

I have to remove the radiator duct and hoses what else ?

Yasuo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Yasuo

Not sure why you would want to replace these unless badley corroded . Not a job i would want to do by choice !!! The pipes come out from the back which means engine out.......and inside the chassis they have rubber pipe sections over the alloy to stop them rattling against the internal ribs, this means gear lever mechanism out...... at both front and rear they have grometts in the holes which will have gone hard over time and will need replacing if disturbed......

When i did mine i had a bare chassis and it was still fiddly to do properly.

Dave

Edited by CHANGES

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info. The pipes are badley corroded, just before the hoses (front) . Are you sure the pipes can out only from back side ?

I'm thinking removed the rad duct and and I hoping I can pool out from the front .

And I can see from the parts list there are Grommets in back but may be I'm wrong.

Yasuo

Hi again Yasuo,

Yes they come out engine side, when you pull forward they clash with the chassis. you could pull and bend them from the front , or chop off in bits to get out , but you won't be able to fit origonal pipes back from front... The other point is have you tried to undo the hose clamps and release the hoses at the rear yet.. if your engine is in situ. this is a nightmare.!!!! :scared:

...Just a thought ..... :innocent: . The pipes are a little longer than required , this will allow in some cases for extra pipe to pulled forward. ..you can then chop off the corroded section and refit hose.

NB.. you will lose the swage on the end of the pipe. this should not be an issue if tightened up properly...If the pipe won't move forward ,by losening the rear you can gain pipe as they sometimes put hose 4'' over the pipe at rear...

As i said before to do this correct is a real pain :wallbash: I have seen one Esprit whos owner tried to do what your doing, he ended up putting the pipes external along side the chassis, not strictly correct but it did work perfectly well..

Hope this helps ( pic to show problem at front )

Dave

Yes, mine too are being replaced with stainless steel pipe...all four to come out when the engine comes out hopefully this month...maybe early next month ;) one of the chargecooler ones has started leaking so all will be changed...

Dave, hows yous now the geometry is done? last time we spoke it was still at the workshop having the adjustments.

Darren

Hi all thanks for the advices.

Today I manged to take out and back (almost ), As you can see from the pictures I could pulled out via the air duct.

My old pipes are longer and tured 90 degreed , so it's impossible to take from back side. New pipes are straight. I just manged to put back.

Tomorrow I will put back and mount all the new hoses.

post-386-0-54658800-1299697480_thumb.jpg

post-386-0-70152800-1299697496_thumb.jpg

post-386-0-44619400-1299697513_thumb.jpg

Sorry Yasuo, I thought you were on about the heater pipes, they are usually the ones to fail,,, I have not come across the main radiator pipes failing before. and yes they have to come out from front on early cars... as you have shown ...well done... sorry about misunderstanding...

All the best

Dave

Note to Darren... will PM you on update..