Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
PAS Pump? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

I started to hear a grindy noise coming from the engine bay and thought the worst today......Not good to hear that especially in an Esprit.

I took it to my local mechanic to have a quick look and he put it on the ramp and looked underneath. He thought it might be the PAS pump but wasn't sure. If it is, how much would i be expecting to pay? I think i have found one for around £100.

Is there any companies that recondition these? Looking to repair this the cheapest way as money is tight these days....Any help would be appreciated.

P.S Not unless this is another common problem and someone knows what the grindy noise is?

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the pas pump can be a pain. if one of the pas mounts on the pump its self breaks it will move under load on mine it was the one behind the heatshields the grinding can be the pump moving and catching the chasiss. i fixed mine by using threadded bar through the broken mount and then through the following one then tightened it up (pulls in the bracket on both sides) so it can't drop down then used the tensioning bolt and the locking bolt before a final tightening. a word of warning it can be a bastard to remove. i got pissed off and cut hydraulic line to get it out, try not to do this (managed to get a replacement free rated at 6500psi) although you may find that you dont have to remove it. i did because i drilled the pas mounts to get 13mm stainless bar straight through. still access is better on a ramp than with the back jacked up.

so car up

under tray off

heatshields off (you can bend but not advisable and replace the bolts with stainless)

undo pas locking bolt

totally slack off the tensioner nut

undo both bolts holding the pas pump on (one near the heat shields and one near the front pully think these were 13mm)

have a look at the mounts on the pump.

it may be that it just needs tensioning but if the tensioning nut is at it fullest its more than likley a mount.

It's Oogies turn to boogie