Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Who fancies doing the London Marathon next year? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Who fancies doing the London Marathon next year?

Guy Munday

Does anyone fancy a TLF team entry next year?

Its on the list of things to do before I die (hopefully not during it) but I fear I will never be motivated enough to do it myself.

All for the forum's chosen charity and a full year to prepare.

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Just had 3 friends do this years in varying times all of whom say absolutely unforgetable experience (for differing reasons) Would love to say yeah but this body just ain't made for speed or endurance. I always fancied doing one until I joined Ian Botham many years ago on one of his coast to coast jaunts and that was just walking lol! I couldn't walk for a few days after that.

I do take my hat off to anybody who does/can.

Good luck.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

In all seriousness it's on my list, if I dont do it within a few years I'll fall apart (its not the age, its the mileage).

Depends on what time people are looking to do on whether I would seriously contemplate it.

My un-laden walking pace is 5mph but never tested that over 15 miles, net alone 24+

If anyone thinks of doing it below 5 hrs then thats pretty mean feat, its not the speed that affects me in person - its the joints and the impact.

TBh Ian, if you wanted to do it - running/walking in a crowd is probably 20% of the effort, the psychological effect of that helps a lot of people complete it, end of the day a LOT of people take 5-9 hrs to complete it which is walking pace all the way around.

Does make me chuckle why people run at 4mph using up silly amounts of calories when they can walk more efficiently at the same speed :lol:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Also bear in mind it is actually quite difficult to get a place. I've know people who have applied each year for 4-5 years before they are given an entry. The only other guaranteed way is to run for a chosen Charity or even Company whom themselves have been allocated a small number of entrants. The Charity or Company will usially take/accept you if you can vertually guarantee to raise X amount of money for that Charity. At least, that is my understanding.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

A woman I worked with does it regular, she reackoned if you are average fitness it would take you about 3 months to get fit enough to do it.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yeah, did you see his feet ?

43 in 51 days with a bit of pre-training - tbh running 26 miles x 6 days a week is training enough ! I think if you trained for that you'd be wasted before you even started.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Probably something I should do to get my lazy arse going.

I've done the 3 peaks challenge twice and walking is more my thing. I really quite fancy base camp of Everest as well.

Come to think of it, I have done some of the London marathon, shaking a tin for Great Ormand Street Hospital around 1993 (I think) so to do the whole thing might be a good idea.

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg