Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Flexible exhaust piping - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Flexible exhaust piping

History:

Could never get my exhuast to seal around the EBPV spacer so I sent it away to have an extension welded onto it to bypass it.

1st incarnation failed becuase it was welded at a slight angle

Had it re-welded

Still cant get it aligned

I'm now firmly in belief that the EBPV (or spacer) was actually needed to join the cat to the exhaust propperly becuase of the tight fitting tollerances.

My next fix it would be to cut the 90 degree sweep off of the box and weld a flexible hose onto it to stop me tearing my hair out trying to alight this damn thing up - but has anyone used one with any degree of success ?

The onyl other way I can think of is to take the cat off and build the system off of the car, then put it back on using the bell fitting by the turbo ?

Really doing wonders for my stress level and the fact I've spent nearly

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi not quite sure what you mean but my Honda has a flexabile section in it. This ends up spliting, had to get mine replaced typical jap crap only lasted a 120,000 miles :rolleyes:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=catlist&cat=15 is this what your after???

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Haha Travis - I was hoping you'd seen / heard something along those lines. Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about.

Just spent about another hour under there trying to line it up and ZERO joy....should have done this in the 1st place, gonna cost me a bomb by the time I'm done frigging with it.

Time for Plan 'R' then, going to cost me a complete bomb this exhaust :rolleyes:

Edited by Jonathan

I shat when I first tried to fit the Cat bypass from PNM to my SJ super sports exhaust becuase the two sets of bolt holes appeared to be drilled miles out of line with each other. But I managed to tap the bolts through at some very strange angles get the nuts on and slowly in rotation get them tight. By the end some how they were perfectly aligned. Phew! :D

But I know what your going through the damn ebpv/spacer setup its a total nightmare to try and seal it all together. Get shut and get a slightly longer cat bypass. :rolleyes:

Good luck John.

I shat when I first tried to fit the Cat bypass from PNM to my SJ super sports exhaust becuase the two sets of bolt holes appeared to be drilled miles out of line with each other. But I managed to tap the bolts through  at some very strange angles get the nuts on and slowly in rotation get them tight. By the end some how they were perfectly aligned. Phew! <_<

But I know what your going through the damn ebpv/spacer setup its a total nightmare to try and seal it all together. Get shut and get a slightly longer cat bypass.  :D

Good luck John.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a similar issue with mine, but finally had a custom exhaust made and removed the damn cat altogether. I removed the original exhaust to replace it with a new one and the cat was in a bunch of rocks! I pulled the pieces out and then had the whole cat removed and a stainless pipe welded back in its' place and then the shop welded the old flange back onto the pipe. I gummed up the surfaces with hi temp exhaust RTV(copper rtv) and seals nicely and hasn't burned thru yet(a few hundred miles so far).

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Haha Travis - I was hoping you'd seen / heard something along those lines.  Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about.

Just spent about another hour under there trying to line it up and ZERO joy....should have done this in the 1st place, gonna cost me a bomb by the time I'm done frigging with it.

Time for Plan 'R' then, going to cost me a complete bomb this exhaust  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jonathan,

I have some bits like that in several sizes that I salvaged from an engineering company next to my work, you are welcome to them if it will help.

Phil

I have some bits like that in several sizes that I salvaged from an engineering company next to my work, you are welcome to them if it will help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, are they stainless, will they hold up to the heat ?

The down pipe is 2.5 inches and I need about 110-130mm length if you've got any that'd be great. B)

Thanks, are they stainless, will they hold up to the heat ?

The down pipe is 2.5 inches and I need about 110-130mm length if you've got any that'd be great.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they are are stainless, unfortunately they are not as long as you would like, very simalar to the one in the photo proportion-wise.

You will have to wait until monday for me to find out what diameter they are as they are at work!

I've put a note in my lunchbox so I shouldn't forget <_<

Phil

Hehe no worries if not, I figured the longer the better, only problem is the sweep angle on the down pipe is too large so there's not a lot to go on.

Spent a lot of money on the system now and I really really want to get it right so I can try out my traction control !! <_<

Hehe no worries if not, I figured the longer the better, only problem is the sweep angle on the down pipe is too large so there's not a lot to go on.

Spent a lot of money on the system now and I really really want to get it right so I can try out my traction control !! :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right Jonathan! I have four of these if you need them. They are about 2 1/4 inches on the small diameter by 90mm long. They may slot inside your tube and be able to be welded on the outside, let me know!

Phil

Edited by 98GT3

Right Jonathan! I have four of these if you need them. They are about 2 1/4 inches on the small diameter by 90mm long. They may slot inside your tube and be able to be welded on the outside, let me know!

Phil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very wierd :o I replied but it said that Jonathan was the last person to post :o

Thanks very much for looking but I dont think it will fit propperly.

I really need 2.5" but cant find anywhere who sell it in lengths of about 100mm overall !!!

Very stuck atm :lol:

Thanks very much for looking but I dont think it will fit propperly.

I really need 2.5" but cant find anywhere who sell it in lengths of about 100mm overall !!!

Very stuck atm  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the inside dia of your pipe? :lol::)

Right got my bit and it's no where near as flexible as I need it so back to square 1.

Attached is a pic of the problem, I alwyas have issues with exhausts, dont think I've had a car which hasn't been a prob for me yet :D

You can see the pic of the exhaust down pipe sweeps up too tight and to early - any pipe I weld onto it has to be at an angle of about 2-3 degrees to mate with the cat propperly.

Phil, if you've got one of those wobble things please can I have one - let me know how much you want for it and I can paypal you the moneys, gotta get this sorted or at least try everything I can.

post-9-1148133880.jpg

Right got my bit and it's no where near as flexible as I need it so back to square 1.

Attached is a pic of the problem, I alwyas have issues with exhausts, dont think I've had a car which hasn't been a prob for me yet  <_<

You can see the pic of the exhaust down pipe sweeps up too tight and to early - any pipe I weld onto it has to be at an angle of about 2-3 degrees to mate with the cat propperly.

Phil, if you've got one of those wobble things please can I have one - let me know how much you want for it and I can paypal you the moneys, gotta get this sorted or at least try everything I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll sort you out Jonathan, I'll send you them all if you like! Send me a PM with your address, as far as payment just paypal me the postage. I will let you know how much it is.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offers of help etc.

I spent about 3 days on this and 2 different trips to my welder, 2 new custom brackets and finally got it to work :P

It was a pig to sort out becuase of the way the exhaust hangs, it's lack of cg hanging points etc but it's there. I think the guy done a great job of tigging this. The flange is now welded in place instead of floating (really hard to fit otherwise), mainly modifications to the hanging arangement and so forth allowed me to get a piece of 2.5" tube on the end where the coupling is and clamp it in place...result !

Behold...

post-9-1149453454.jpg

post-9-1149453464.jpg