Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit´s average oil consumption - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit´s average oil consumption

Hello,

would be interested how much oil your Esprit (4 pot) needs for lets say 500 miles.

I just want to know if my consumption is with about 0,5 litres too high...

Thanks!

Calavera

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine like a drink too, but not sure it's that much.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

...it is a little less too - when accurate calculated it needed that much (0.5ltr.) for 750 miles - but don´t know if this is in a normal range...

I've never measured mine, but I drive it hard and I always have to top it up after each ride. The harder I drive, the more I top up. Again, I'm running a lot of boost on 46K miles rings.

That said, when a compression test and leak down were done last year she was at factory specs. Unbelievable, actually.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

That sounds quite high to me. I suspect a leak or a wearing engine. It's not to say you engine is about to go but it's using oil.

My first Esprit, 90 carb turbo used a bit but it was every 3 months or so I would top up. Then my S4s was less about every 12 months (service intervals). Now my V8 doesn't even need topping up which surprised me (not that I am complaining!).

David

Edited by superdavelotus

From memory way back when I had an S2 that seemed to use a lot of oil, 1 litre per 1000 miles is within spec.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Mine's an 88 Turbo with 62,000 on the clock, receipts tell me it had a top end rebuild at 28,000. My first oil change (after my purchase) revealed treacle had been substituted for oil, the almost empty 5 litre container of a cheap shell oil left in the boot did nothing to inspire confidence. It's worth mentioning the compressions were all over the place, clearly it was consuming oil as the PO carried the oil container with him.

I out the real stuff in it Castrol Edge, and at the 2nd oil change the compressions had all come good, I don't do many miles, I schedule a minor service once a year December / January, in that time I nave never needed to top up between oil changes.

The moral of the story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, use good oil.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I have a 94 S4 with 68K on the clock, 25K since a HG replacement done by the PO. Running chip #5, cat-delete pipe, BOV and mickelwright exhaust for the 20K miles I have had her and she doesn't ever need topping up. i woudl think you should not need to top off your oil, let alone as much as you do. in fact, I am surprised to hear so many people are saying they need to.

...the garage last time filled Castrol 10W60... don´t know which sort - so I filled up with Castrol Edge Formula RS 10W60 - but don´t know if this is thick or thin :scooter:

Edited by Calavera