Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Crank regrind costs............and others toooooo - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Crank regrind costs............and others toooooo

Lots to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I've just bought and engine hoist so if anyone is ever in the need to borrow it, you know where to come....

Anyway, engine/gearbox to come out and then.......

Replace gearbox oil, replace drive shaft oil seals and O rings

Check condition of clutch and flywheel

exhaust manifold, studs, nuts and gaskets

Timing belt and auxiliary belts, valve clearances and adjustment if necessary

Oil pump

Now I'm also thinking of pulling the crank, regrind, shells, front and rear crank seals

Any idea of any of the costs - I only need rough parts costs, I'll do the labour myself

Cheers Guys

Edited by glynherron

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I paid for my rebuild a few years ago.

Main bearing set,$221.00

Rod bearing set,$105.00

Exhaust manifold to head lockplates,$8.00 ea for both the long and short ones.$36.00 for the set of 6.

Bottom end gasket/seal set,$61.25(includes oil pump shaft seal)

Top end gasket/seal set including the 4 exhaust port gaskets,$135.00

Gasket,turbo to manifold,$19.88

Gaskets,turbo oil feed/drain,$3.85 each

Crank Thrust washer pair,$17.50

Dipstick O ring,$1.29

Timing belt,$40.50

V belts,$30.00 for all three,proper Euro made sized belts

Transaxle output shaft seals,$25.88 each

"" "" "" O rings,$4.00 each

Axle roll pins,$2.10/pair(inner/outer)

Unless you have damage, I doubt, you'll need to regrind the crank. But you'll need to know the crank diameter and the crank thrust before ordering parts.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks for that Travis, I really appreciate the time do reply

I'm suffering low oil pressure, even after an oil change, when hot, so either oil pump and/or shells.

I'm no expert, but would have thought it best to regrind, but I guess the shells are softer after all.

I wouldn't anticipate damage as all is running ok.

Don't the shells have an identification mark somewhere?

Cheers

Glyn

How low is low? I have been told that they all run pretty low when hot... :question:

(OTOH the 30 year old Porsche runs 2 bar minimum!)

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

My engine had 77k miles, and the crank journals were fine. I had just started wearing through the lead bearing material and just into the copper layer before the steel backing. I had compression on the low side (right at the low limit for my altitude of 5300ft).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusEngineRebuild#

While I was in there though... I noticed that my exhaust cam followers had cracks. So I replaced those with steel ones from JAE (arrow precision Twin Cam version with nitrided hardening and the land is .200" or so). SO I had to get all new shims too. I made cast iron fake shims just to get the measurements and then ordered the proper shim sizes.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

mmm Its been over a year since she was last run, and with a cam belt over due, I don't want to restart, but remember it was almost off the gauge and was waiting for the oil pressure light to start to flicker!

Was just thinking if the crank side of things was sub £500 it might be worthwhile doing now rather that later

Glyn

When I looked a couple of years back it was £10 per journal at a local place +VAT so a whole crank would be £108 but it's probably gone up.

If it doesn't need doing though - don't do it! One day your crank will be irreplacable and someone may want to refurb it in future, if you get it ground now you are using up some of it's usable life.

Extreme thinking I know but on my other car (924 turbo) parts like good cranks and pistons are getting hard to find.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Blimey. Welcome back Glynn :) Nice to see you on the forum again dude. Glad to hear you still have the Yellow peril mate ;)

Are you going for a full resto, or just the engineering side?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Thanks Rich, that is a good consideration to make...... I'll measure and see what I find :)

Hey Paul, long time no see, hope life is good with you matey

Its just the mech side for now, together with the Kelsey Hayes V8 Brembo brakes.

I hate the s4s brakes, so I've got the V8 pedal box, master cylinder and servo, and ABS unit plus wiring. I've just got to work on the wiring diagrams now!

Hopefully done in next few weeks for engine but probably a winter project for brakes unless someone has done it before and can shed some light on the conversion.

See you soon

G