Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speedometer wont stop jumping after a hot day - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedometer wont stop jumping after a hot day

Hi All

What do you make of this:

On Monday it was a nice hot day, I left my esprit NA 88 in the driveway for a couple of hours, when I got in, it was absolutely boiling (hot steering wheel etc.), anyway, I drove off and noticed the speedometer was misreading/judering/jumping allover the place and I thought it could just be too hot, so after my drive, I parked it in my garage to cool down (bear in mind when I turn the ignition off the needle stays now at 30mph) but the next day it was still jumping all over and still is today, there is also a ticking noise coming from it?

Please let me know your thoughts on how to resolve this.

Thanks

Lloyd

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I've been searching, but I can't find the thread on speedos that I'm looking for. Someone on here opened their speedo up and what had happened was the needle spindle comes loose in the magnet deal inside. He corrected that and hasn't had a problem since and did it himself. I just can't find the bloody topic. :wallbash:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Lloyd

Can't find the receipt which is odd because I try and keep everything like that, I think it was around £70 plus the delivery.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

Thanks Lou. That's the link I was looking for. I didn't find it when I used 'speedo' as a search word, or I missed it scrolling through all the threads that came up.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Lloyd,

Have also had the exact same problem. I fixed it myself but it didn't last very long before it happened again. I had it fixed by a guy in Keighley, Yorkshire. It cost me £45 as i delivered/picked it up in person, but he also offers a postal service.

Let me know if you want his details-i don't have my service records to hand at the moment.

Nick.

Check that it isnt the cable at fault. Mine was the earlier single cable and it had started to seize but the speedo itself had also collapsed inside. I purchased a second hand speedo from Lotusbits and have the old one to play about with at some stage.

• 1 month later...

HI All,

Thanks for your help again.

Right, I have received my Speedo back from JDO based in Keighley (Thanks Nick, I found him on the net), As I got a garage to remove the speedo for me, I am wanting to put it back on myself.

Please find attached how I have put it on. Is this correct?

(I basically put the speedometer in the hole in the dashboard, then went underneath the dash and put the bracket on the speedo, then put the washer and tightened the nut until it was firm. Then I attached the light fittings and pushed the speedo cable onto the end of the speedometer. Does the speedo cable not screw onto the speedometer, as it seems quite loose, as in, it feels like it might fall off?

Please let me know, thanks

Lloyd

post-175-0-70632600-1312642565.jpg

• 1 month later...