Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Lotus Evora Long Term Test - Page 3 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Lotus Evora Long Term Test

TLF News

Interesting that a lot of people who try the IPS say it's quick (but I believe it's slightly slower than the manual on paper, is that right?)

Just wondered if that was common when comparing autos and manuals.

• 1 month later...

Interesting that a lot of people who try the IPS say it's quick (but I believe it's slightly slower than the manual on paper, is that right?)

Just wondered if that was common when comparing autos and manuals.

Hi all, new to this forum and very interested in any comments on the above question. Been thinking about the Evora ever since I saw one for real on the street a few weeks ago. The car has immense presence in the flesh, which I just don't think translates in pics at all (probably why I never took an interest until I actually saw one). Since then, I've been to a Lotus dealer and found the package itself to be just what I am looking for: high on design and function, low on weight and size!

But I was surprised by the lack of foot space in the driver's well, especially with no footrest (which is close to heresy as far as I am concerned for a sports car, as you can't really lock yourself in an effective driving position when hard on the brakes), and this has made me think about the IPS. I like paddle shifts in general, and don't mind that the 'box is a full converter-type auto, as this is probably more durable clutch-wise than an automated single-clutch manual (I don't see Lotus having the money to develop and offer a dual-clutch 'box anytime soon).

So if any owners out there can shed some light on what it's actually like to live with the IPS, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I've had one for a month now and will be posting my thoughts up in a day or two on the long term review pages smile.png

Suffice to say I used to hate auto's but I've been a bit converted, especially in Sport mode :D

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

But I was surprised by the lack of foot space in the driver's well, especially with no footrest (which is close to heresy as far as I am concerned for a sports car, as you can't really lock yourself in an effective driving position when hard on the brakes), and this has made me think about the IPS.

Elsiesvg, I have size 10's and find no footwell space problem and my June 2010 (manual gears) has a very substantial footrest! Of course you found what you found, but were you perhaps in a very early car - or a left hand drive?

Edited by mdavies

I just purchased an Evora IPS (NA) a week ago (Melbourne, Australia) and believe me, it's quick. It also has a dead pedal in RHD configuration. Being an MY11 built around October, it seems to have all the new MY12 bits added as well, with the exception of the new louder exhaust (although that is orderable from the Lotus sports catalogue soon anyway).

Quick video of acceleration

Some car shots

139Woodend1.jpg

596Woodend2.jpg

For those who think the Evora NA needs more power, I don't agree that it does. I like the fact that the NA is much lighter than the S model. Put it this way, on public roads and given most draconian speed limits - the Evora is supremely fast enough for any situation.

What it does need is to breathe a little better and louder, and that can be achieved though a revised intake/exhaust setup, and this can be easily fixed by either the Radium CAI/Larini Exhaust combo, or ordering the equivalent from the Lotus sports catalog when the MY12 stuff filters to the parts area.

I also find that it provides me with exceptional mileage, getting about 8.9L/100 (32MPG) on a semi-spirited freeway run of about 250km a few days ago. A full tank gives me a range of about 580km with conservative driving.

Finally, these cars really turn heads. I mean, really, seriously silly amounts of attention. This is in Australia, where there have only been about 40 cars sold in the whole country since 2010, meaning for 99% of the population it's their first ever encounter with the car. I had people leaning out car windows taking photos while driving next to me on the freeway. I come back to the car after a coffee stop to find hand prints all over the driver's window and sometimes people gathered around.

In a Cayman you will blend into anonymous-land. In an Evora, you're a rock star!

Edited by koorby

Elsiesvg, I have size 10's and find no footwell space problem and my June 2010 (manual gears) has a very substantial footrest! Of course you found what you found, but were you perhaps in a very early car - or a left hand drive?

Yes, LHD. Have since tried a RHD car and found out there is a foot rest on those! So no problem for us, and hard luck to the continentals smoke.gif

Nice pictures. It looks gorgeous, doesn't it. I totally agree with your comments about adequate power in the NA and turning heads.

Countless times people have stopped to take a picture of it when parked or driving.

21,000 km, 1,5 years and still enjoying every minute behind the wheel. It just never gets boring. But yes, you need sports exhaust, it transforms the driving experience and I think it lets a few extra horses loose.

I haven't been afraid to take mine out in the cold weather. Those Pirellis are soooo sticky - tremendous amounts of grip even in sub-zero temperatures.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/gallery/image/1568-imag0644/

Good write up, in particular for people not so familiar with winter tires. Evora works great, I've installed Michelin Pilot Alpin 3 in 225 front, 255 back, so the smaller OEM sizes. Work exceptionally well, but given the torque of the S, I would not want to go any smaller. Don't the back tires spin all time with the WDrives?

• 2 months later...

Another great write up.

Gets me wondering what body part I have to sell to do long term car tests :)

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...