Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Not Starting - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Not Starting

sup3rm4n

Hey All,

Hope everyone is well!

Anyway, I drove home today in my beautiful 88 Esprit NA, turned off the engine, went in the house for a few minutes, then came out, turned the key but the engine was not turning over/no starter motor noise. Battery is fine, all normal lights come on, I can hear the fuel pump pumping away as usual but no engine start or turning over of the engine.

I did have a similar problem about 7 months ago after going over a huge bump in the road, then next time I stopped, the engine wouldn't turn over on startup - luckily I was near a car garage and within minutes the guy said he sorted it by replugging a loose cable (in a hard to get to place) back into an engine component, unfortunately he was foreign so I couldnt make out what cable it was, but I was off again.

I believe it to be (hopefully) the same problem. Could this be a cable to starter motor? What cable would this most likely be and how would I do what he did?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but I am still trying to learn more as I go along.

Please let me know

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the solenoid wire on the starter. It will be a single wire with a small spade connector on the end. Look around the starter with a light and mirror and you should be able to find the wire and where it plugs in on the topside of the starter.

See the arrow in the pic below for the general area. You can reference the location with the oil dipstick tube in the foreground.

startersolenoid.jpg

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Thanks Jim, after inspecting the area I have found a red and white wire with a spade connector that is not connected to anything, where does this go as there is already a thick red wire that looks like it is connected to the start motor with a screw on the end of it?

Also, will I need to take off the battery connectors when I reconnect this?

I'd suggest you take the connector off the spade & give it a bit of a squeeze with a pair of pliers to stop it coming apart again :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Yes Dave, that was just after rebuilding and ready to go back in the car. It's back on the road now and still looking good... :thumbup:

More pics at the link in my sig if you're interested.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Guest WausauLotus

Jim- Yes I'm interested, but being somewhat of a novice to this forum, what is "sig" and how do I get there.

My baby is about two weeks away from going to her new garage and doing an "engine out' refrub/rebuild. I can't wait to make it look as good as yours.

Thanks

Dave