Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Elite 2.2 Classic and Sportscar - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Elite 2.2 Classic and Sportscar

Hi, Martin Buckley writes about the Elite 2.2 in Septembers Classic and Sportscar. He compares it with the Lancia Gamma Coupe and Merc 230CE-but comes down in favour of the Elite. Good man.

• 2 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Gamma from the article was sold on Ebay the other day, in the glowing blurb the owner alleges that Buckley really preferred the Gamma but was told to write in favour of the Elite to ignite some comment/controversy! Goodness aren't people up their own chuffs in the classic car world?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

That`s quite bizarre....judging from his taste in vehicles betrayed by many previous writings, I fully expected Mr. Buckley to favour the Elite, and distinctly remember starting to read the article thinking I`d be surprised if at the end he thinks the Lancia or Merc are nicer....

dunno... he's a fully paid up large italian car fan. He lists both the Gamma Saloon and Coupe in his top 50 cars and I think he's has owned a succession of Fiat 130's..

And a succession of Gammas. There is a video on Youtube of their "poorboys tour" where they all stand by their own cars; then they have to stand by the car in the group they secretly wish to own. Everyone chooses someone elses but Buckley stays stuck to his own 130.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Between you, me and the gatepost, both the Lancia and the Merc had some rust and wear and tear that didn't show up in the photos in the magazine. Whereas my Elite..................

Talking of the Elite, it only made the top 20 for this year's Classic Car of the Year competition, not the top 5 which will be lined up at the NEC Classic Motor Show next weekend (11, 12, 13 Nov), but the Elite will be there nonetheless, on the Excel.net stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Well worth the trip. Both Elites on show looked great, as did the other wedges. Was stood there admiring them and someone came up to chat - turned out to be Mike Taylor who offered me various routes into Elite ownership myself. And Oliver W was hovering in the background too but disappeared before I could have a word.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Leigh smoke.gif Buckley is an Italiaphile but also likes Chapman era Lotuses' .....He wrote the article in C&SC years ago when he had Paul Deweys Essex No.17 vs. a 308 QV Paul had to try. Ultimately he had to go for the 308 knowing how much it would retain its value but was full of praise for the Esprit. 'A Hot Wind from Hethel blows Maranello cold' - Heading was something like that.....

On the flip side Paul said he had never been so disappointed in a car after stepping out of the Fezza.

Edited by nello