Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
If your vac pump runs al the time... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

If your vac pump runs al the time...

My vac pump was running all the time, I'd checked for leaks all over and found none so was starting to think about the vac actuators...

I finally pulled out the vac pump and found the feedback hose on top had collapsed!

This had shut off the vacuum to the vac switch that stops the pump when the vac gets high enough.

Bit of silicon vac line and all was well!

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It lives in a foam box in the compartment in the boot.

I have the later harness as there is nothing else in there.

Pull the hose off it and put your thumb over the output, it shoudl run for a couple of secs then stop, if it doesn't check the loop of pipe over th etop for collapsing, kinking or leaks, it's relatively thin walled pipe for vac line, a bit of silicone vac hose will sort.

Hi Darren,

These pump tend to fail if they've been running constant for a while. Also I used to be able to fix them if the diaphram hasn't gone inside. If you are near Wirral anytime soon then pop in to mine and I'll have a look for you.

Regards,

David Walters

Mine runs all the time and I am afraid its either burning out or, if it has or is inefficient maybe this would be the cause of my code26, relating maybe to the solenoid it powers not working properly? Now theres a thought.... Ill keep in kind Dave your offer, as even if you could check it out that would be grand. I wouldng mind a trip up that part if thd country actually...

Thing is ive been through andcant find any leaks! Which is why im thinkin maybe the pump is defective or has the similar issue asabove. However tomorrow ill pull it out and see what is what..

Thing is ive been through andcant find any leaks! Which is why im thinkin maybe the pump is defective or has the similar issue asabove. However tomorrow ill pull it out and see what is what..

Hi Darren,

It could be your pump is faulty or it may need adjustment from the inside? The latter is a long shot as most have a split diapham but contact me in the morning and I'll give you my mobile number. I might be able to talk you through it if you are unable to travel upto me. I'll also be glad to look at it if you bring your car upto me.

Regards,

David Walters

Edited by superdavelotus

Ok ill be looking this afternoon...so if I were to unplugg it, is the car still useable? Bear in mind I have no throttle jack or ebv for the solenoids to control, however there is a very thin plastic lines which seem to run off to the right hand fuel tank compartment into a wee little black box if I remember..

Pretty sure the ebv defaults to open and there's no throttle jack when there's no vacuum (they only get used for a very short time during warmup anyway) but I don't have the manuals to check at the moment. TBH, if you have a leak or faulty pump they probably aren't working due to lack of vacuum. The biggest issue with no pump is the lack of heater controls. When leak hunting you need to work your way forwards from the pump isolating each tee off in turn to see which line(s) is leaking

Edited by sailorbob

If your EBPV and throttle jack has been properly gutted then it'll be no problem.

Have you done the test of putting your finger over the outlet to see if it stops? It's as quick as disconnecting it!

Currently on it. Ive took the top off the pump. Now, ive put my finger over the outlet end to see if there is a vacuum there. I fan feel one so thats a start. It doesnt cut out no.however, I have noticed the pipe at the top where it goes onto the lid of the pump is not that tight. It pushes onto a little plastic pipe that runs inside and its

A little loose. Now, with pump running and finger on the end to try and trap the vacuum, I can see the little switch on the underside of the pump lid move up towards the shut pump off position, but it fractionally stops before the point at which the contact cuts out the pump.however, if I push it a tiny fraction more with my fingernail it cuts out the pump, and still with my other finger over the end of the pipe holding the vacuum, the switch stays in the off position. With me so far? Now this to me suggests that as the vacuum is then strong enough to hold the switch from activating the pump again, im assuming the diaphram dave speaks of is good and not leaking. So this means perhaps the leak is the top pipe going into the top of the pump feeding the switch that controls it. Solution? Well as a temporary measure im sealing the joint there to see if it can build up a better vacuum strong enough to control the switch bt itself.... Phew...

Ok its sorted! Sealing up the top pipes connection to the top lid of the pumo helped, then just adjusted the little switch inside and it runs for a few seconds then cuts out. Then every now and then it runs and cuts out...thats good yes!

Had similar probs. with mine and would blow fuses very often, stripped down and rebuilt with no obvious fault, works fine on a 25a fuse! anything less only lasts a few minutes.......................open to ideas guys ??

Dont worry,be happy.............

Had similar probs. with mine and would blow fuses very often, stripped down and rebuilt with no obvious fault, works fine on a 25a fuse! anything less only lasts a few minutes.......................open to ideas guys ??

Worn out or switch not cutting it out?