Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1980 S3 Mis-firing - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1980 S3 Mis-firing

BenL

Whilst recently driving my espit the car began to mis-fire. I was travelling at about 50mph along a motorway and progresively put on power when the engine began to splutter. This became worse along the course of the journey to the point where pressing the accelerator pedal would give no response at all.

I know that this is a bit of a bad explanation but can anyone give a diagnosis as to what the possible problem could be, and any possible tests I could carry out to get to the bottom of the problem. (I know that it could be any number of things. I thought it could be the fuel pump?). I'm quite willing to try and carry out the work myself if i'ts easily rectified.

Appreciate any possible feedback,

Thanks,

Ben.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Troy Halliday

It could be a number of things, but I would guess at fuel starvation. If it was a bad HT lead for example it would tend to smooth out a bit as revs increase, the same for plugs. As it happened whilst trying to accelerate it seems the most logical thing.

The S3's fuel system is as follows

"Fuel is fed from the left hand tank to an electric fuel pump fitted beneath the left front corner of the engine bay. From here fuel is pumped through a line filter at the left front of the engine bay, to a 'Flowlock' valve at the right hand side of the engine bay. The flowlock valve is a solenoid operated fuel line valve desigened to shut off the fuel supply to the engine except when the solenoid is energised by switching on the the ignition. A plastic fuel pump then carries fuel to the carburettors."

Taken from the big black Lotus Bible

The first place to start to look is the fuel pump as it sounds like it is strugling to keep up with the fuel supply. If it was the flowlock fuel would be cut of and no fuel would get to the carbs. Here is a link to the LEW guide and I think you'll find that it is explaining your syptoms to a T LEW Replacing Giugiaro Fuel Pump

Hope that helps you out sorry to hear the bad news. If you update your profile putting in you location details someone may be local to you and offer a helping hand. You never know your luck :rolleyes:

Troy

After my panic of a very similar problem last week a new set of spark plugs and its as good as gold. I got a spare spark plug and took out each HT lead one by one and made sure each lead was doing its job and then put the new ones in. Just over finger tight"! I learned the hardway about threads on motorbikes!

Yep been here and done that.

I would start by checking the plugs I have had this happen twice in my time once it just failed MOT on emmisions. The second time which was just recently on the Donnigton meet (ask paul c what it was like at the services!) It had prolems when starting and then when i got home it wouldnt start but if it did was like it was missing a cylinder.

Then Fuel I have also had lots of fun with this :rolleyes: Firstly turn on the ignition and listen to fuel pump it should make a constent sound(buzz) at a constant pitch, if it does next I would work back from the carb fuel lines and just take them off and confirm you have fuel and work back to when you find you havent. If the sound of the pump is suspect start there and see if you have fuel then work the other way.

Good luck

I had something similar, which I thought was fuel starvation and I spent a lot of wasted time changing fuel filter and carb work. Eventually found out all it needed was a new disributor cap and rotor arm. This was on my other Lotus Esprit 2.2 NA HC.

Edited by LotusSport350

Glad you've found the forum members knowledgable and helpful Ben, and thanks to everyone for that.

I just noticed you're in Lewisham, I'm in Beckenham, Fishy is in Blackheath and Bee Enn is in Greenwich. You're in the middle of a hotbed of Esprit owners, let us know if you fancy a beer at any point :rolleyes:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 4 months later...

'The flowlock valve is a solenoid operated fuel line valve desigened to shut off the fuel supply to the engine except when the solenoid is energised by switching on the the ignition. '

On my S2 there is also a small filter in the pressure regulator which blocked soon after I got the car giving similar symptoms.

... count me in guys; I'm on Croydon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did this beer happen? I'm in Rochester and work in London so am regularly passing through the Lewisham/Greenwich area. Need a week or two's notice to get a pass for the evening though.

The beer idea didn't happen but it seems as though more and more people from this area like the idea of a few jars and a bit of esprit chat so if anyones up for it lets arrange a place and a time...any suggestions?

I had something similar, which I thought was fuel starvation and I spent a lot of wasted time changing fuel filter and carb work. Eventually found out all it needed was a new disributor cap and rotor arm. This was on my other Lotus Esprit 2.2 NA HC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had a similar problem to Eric above. Also turned out to be ignition not fuel. in my case the Coil had packed in. $36 US later I had a new Epoxy Pertronic and she runs great.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue