Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
[BELGIUM]Belgian motorways - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

[BELGIUM]Belgian motorways

Bibs

What's the thing with the white lines across the motorways in Belgium? Every now and again there's a single line, then a double line perpendicular to the flow of traffic. Couldn't for the life of me work out what the point of them was... anyone know?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Bibs, surely you know that one? They are either testing new paint for line marking, but if it was a single line then later a double line then again a single, you will find they are at 500m intervals. They are there for either police planes or helicopters to calculate your speed. They simply time you over the distance between the marks. All over the place in WA where I used to live.

We nicknamed 'em Pigs In Space.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Where was it? It is possible that it was an inline weight measurement for lorries. A lot of them do carry to much weight and damage the roads. It's used by the police to check the weight without stopping the lorrie.

http://www.wegenenverkeer.be/verkeer-en-mobiliteit/verkeershandhaving/weigh-in-motion.html

Weigh in Motion (WIM)

The system Weigh in Motion (WIM) truck will be weighed as they pass. The police can then focus all the overloaded trucks off the road to get a precise weighing.

How does it work?

At the WIM there are plate recognition cameras hanging above each lane of a porch or a bridge. They automatically record the license plate of each vehicle. Loops in the pavement will detect the vehicles measures the length of vehicles. Weighing Sensors in the pavement detect the axles and register the axle loads. Cameras on either side of the road to an overview image of the situation. People of the traffic police and road inspection are located further up the road, they can consult the data that the WIM system is sending them. So they get a list of all possible overloaded trucks coming towards their direction. They can get them off the road and into a scale and measure the exact (over) weight.

Where can you find them?

Currently there are two locations equipped with a WIM installation: the E40 direction Gent at the height of Erpe-Mere and the N16 direction Puurs near the Schelde bridge.