Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
more sound without centre silencer? - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

more sound without centre silencer?

hi all, my car is finally at the end of a big restore, the engine completely rebuilted now run very clean and smooth , I'm very happy for this but a car like esprit s2 I think need more sound from exhaust, if I change the centre silencer whit a simple pipe (i think SJ have something in the part list) , it can improve the sound? there are some other solutions without change the complete exhaust system?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does make a difference Massimo. I have the SJ tubular manifold with no centre silencer. It sounds great inside the car but as I'm only the one who ever drives her I can't comment on what it sounds like on the outside. Plus don't listen to the sound from revving the engine, more important is the noise it makes under load when driving.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete, On the car I have found a good complete stainless steel exhaust system with centre silencer also in ss, the system is in a very good condition so I want to use this wonderful exhaust on my car, but due to this reason it is difficult to understand where this system came from , I have found from photos on the web some similar exhausts from sj and others supplier but I not shure who is the original supplier and manifacturer , so it is a risk to buy something that can't fit with this system, probably I need to make this pipe here in a workshop ,so after to build it, I'm interested tu ear some opinions from who have tried the car with and without the centre silencer, and what are the differences in performance/sound , now the engine of my car is total rebuilt, with new also balanced crankcase, special pistons and a lot of upgrades (but still 2 litres) now it's soooooo smooth and clean...without rattle, ritmical noises and so need a bit more voice from exhaust...

I have a cast manifold no primary silencer, but instead a stainless down pipe leading to a stainless Sports Exhaust both from PNM. Peter, you're in Hampshire, could I recommend the Hindhead tunnel with the windows down if you want to hear your Esprit the way the average pedestrian hears it!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Hey Colin,

I used to live a mile away from the tunnel in Liphook but moved back in March just before completion. Haven't had the opportunity to get back and go through it yet. Might have to make that a mission at some point. Good plan!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...