Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jet wash? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Jet wash?

Bibs

I'm thinking of popping to the shop and getting a nice jet wash for at home but am concerned to be fair about long term usage of one on an Esprit. The way I see it is that I will be forcing small particles of dirt at high pressure over the paintwork and this may have a damaging effect. I only want it to save me having to go to the hand wash place every week to remove surface grime, which could be done with a quick spray with the jet washer.

Does anyone have one of these personal jet washers, and if so, have you noticed any ill effects, or are they ok?

I would wash the cars by hand, but don't have time to do this every weekend, that's valuable hoon time being taken up, but equally don't want grime sitting on them for prolonged periods.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i was seriously planning to use a jet washer on my esprit

i'd have to seriously consider buying new seals for just about

every door, lid whatever! :rolleyes:

The esprit seems to have too many orifices that would not like

a jetwash pointed near them too. I hand wash, i did today and it

took 20 mins from start to finish, then i spent 2 hours out on the

road. No waxing. No drying. No polishing. Just driving.

Base white is the way to go!

...albeit covered in gnat guts now :D

Hi there

I use a jet wash to wet the car, hand wash and then jet wash after to rinse on my S2. Never had any problems at all but I am very careful how I use the jet, ie not at 90 degrees to the surface, seals seem to hold and I don't get any water in the car.

Mat 79 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I'd stay well clear of jet washers, especially around the front of the car where there's likely to be stone chips in the paint. the water jets WILL force water under the laquer and lift it. this happened on my S2.2 many moons ago and caused no end of grief.

just my 2P

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

I do the same as Mat - use it with the foamer / soap attachment to initially wet the car, then do the legwork by hand and then final rinse with the washer BUT...... mine is adjustable from highly focussed / intense to quite spread / gentle.... I always use a less intense jet.....

Mine was seriously cheap and nasty form Maplin and didn't have much power compared to one of the more expensive (say) Karcher ones and I have seen it flake paint of the plastic hubcaps on my day car and affect the lacquer where it had been weakened on the alloys.

As I said, I now only use it in a very soft and spread spray..... This would still be more than adequate to remove surface dirt between trips to Kosovo - but then so would an ordinary hose with a nozzle attachment!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I also do same as Mat.

I have Alto's jetwasher and special car-nozzle which is gentle for paint.

Never had any problems with this washer. It's very fast to clean the car with jetwasher, but you have to be careful that's for sure :rolleyes:

If you use jetwasher with standard nozzle then you probably will have problems...

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+