Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Show plates - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Show plates

After a conversation with Fishy on Sunday I thought I would do a bit of investigation regarding the legal status of show plates.

This is what the DVLA say:

Show Plates

3.11 A large number of queries and comments have been generated about the supply of

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3.14 - That's fine, they can do what they like! Fancyplates, probably the best well known supplier are in Ireland and hence beyond the remit of ANY UK legislation! :D

What they would have to do is make it a crime to purchase or own such plates! :D

I think that it doesn't mention what you can or cannot have on your car when on private land, as it is beyond their power.

What they are talking about is trying to make a situation where a group of rather pissed off UK suppliers can get their businesses back and legitimise the fabrication of 'show-plates' within the UK.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Like you say, unless posession became illegal then there isn't much that anyone could do about it.

Also most of the new legislation that is about (showing id's, manufacturer names etc.) has come in since the majority of cars were registered... If an owner denied any knowledge that their plate was a "show plate" - "It just came like that guv..", It would be tough to show that it had been knowingly purchased as a show plate...

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Plates ? 'titter' :D

I'm gonna get busted one day but I've driven past so many police now and gone 'oh sh*t' you can almost see their expression change from "Ahah got one" to "ohhh paperwork" sad2.gif

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

havent read the post really but here is my knowledge on plates and i have been in the mod scene years, so you can imagine i know how to get busted.

legal:-

basically from this year you cant even have honeycomb anymore, its a straight no messin plate, and that legal ANYTHING else is illegal. thats the law

legal rules on no plate:-

haveing no plate means you are not showing a mark on your vehicle, this is a

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

We were vaguely discussing that someone somewhere had intimated that 'show plates' / 'off road' plates were still naughty even if you were indeed, off the road!

I personally think it's not accurate :D

Point of interest:

NONE of the Enzos had front plates! (Where on earth would they put them?!)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

I was talking to a guy on Sunday who claimed his boss had been fined

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Judging from past experience, plod are generally not interested in normal-ish plates unless

a) you're taking the pish (eg no plate,

No plate ironically is only a

The plod are getting funnier about front plates as the SPECS cameras spot fronts not backs and as more people try to avoid by leaving off/changing their plates you can bet you're mortgage that sooner or later they're going to crack down in the name of generating revenue (sorry I meant to say increasing safety)! Only a matter of time before they start lookin at how to identify motorbikes from the front.

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

mark you said the dirty "bike" word on a thread i am on, oh dear.

this is my whole point, bikes dont have them and neithier do i, if i went passed a spec cam at 100mph and the bike was doing the same i get f##ked and the bike is fine, CRAP law. (b4 anyone says yes i know why they dont have plates bla bla dangerous to pedestrians in 1894 LOL)

some of the usa crew on this or ph forum did mention that the law in the usa states "the plate has to be on the front of the vehicle" and they said to look closely at the uk law, they put there plates on the sunvisor (like i do) which is technically the front of the car as its past the middle.

and another thing what about trade plates. they are thrown in the window aswell, and thats a legal mark on a vehicle, same thing. not as if it would be very hard to procescute a lotus esprit owner really, theres not that many, plus most illegally spaced plates are easy readable. but im sticking with if bikes dont then it is basically picking on the drivers again.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

It's not PICKING ON drivers, it's making an exception for bikes.

I do agree however, that it leads to an inequitable law.

There are plenty of inequitable laws right back tho - eg Bikes have legal noise limits and we don't! :(

Now.... who do I know around here with a really noisy 7" exhaust?!?!