Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Altitude probelms? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Altitude probelms?

The Veg

Have any of you ever had altitude-related problems with an Esprit, particularly with a Bosch-injected car?

Last weekend I was driving my car in some nearby mountains and after parking for half an hour it would not start. It cranked and cranked and cranked with no sign of fire. The conditions were thus: it was a cool day, maybe about 50F, and the altitude was about 4800 feet above sea level. The engine temperature was not excessive before parking.

I bring up the altitude because after having the car towed home (1050 feet above sea level), it started right up and ran flawlessly. The strike against the altitude theory though is that the car lived above 500 feet for at least 22 years before I bought it, and it has been driven in those mountains before without problem.

Thoughts?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I am also interested in this as I plan to drive my car skiing at some point and the resort I normally go to is at 2200 metres up - so high and when we drove in my friends Jag XJS 5.3 V12 it was losing power and cutting out by the time we go to the very top of the resort...

Did not have any problems with mine doing the Stelvio pass which peaks at around 2750m or going up to Alpe d'Huez and then back down and on to Serre Chevalier over what ever that pass is called (not on the same trip!). Only thing I noticed both times was that the tickover was quite a bit slower at that altitude. Mine has carbs though.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

and on to Serre Chevalier over what ever that pass is called

The Col du Lautaret, a cracking part of France. Did you do the Col d'Izoard while you were there? I have a photo of it somewhere, an amazing stretch of road...