Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What are these pipes for? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What are these pipes for?

Hi all, I'm figuring out the plumbing in my car as it is while ago since I took it apart: I have two pipes running front to back in the central tunnel (at the bottom), they are not for cooling I think, but what are they for? At the front of the car they seem to go upward in the direction of the dashboard. I've checked the workshop manual but don't see them mentioned. I think they are for heater control (vacuum?) and at least one is supposed to be connected to the inlet manifold I guess?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dennis

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes brake servo, the pipe goes up through the body into the bonnet/trunk. The heather pipe (plus another one t'eed off the large pipe) go into the cabin. Haven't got any clear pictures I'm afraid.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Buggered if I can remember! I took mine apart 5 years ago and when/if I ever get round to putting it back together I'm going to have the same problem!! The servo one goes to the inlet manifold as you previously said and the heater one is probably t'eed off another pipe somewhere but I don't remember where. There should be a picture in the parts manual I would have thought?

When you find out, let me know :)

Cheers, Paul.

Not sure about the S1...but the heater pipes on my S3 Turbo attach to the water pump and the feed comes from the back of the cylinder head, to the left of the carbs. There should be two pipes through the chassis for the heater, feed and return, and also two other pipes ..vacuum supplies...one to the brake servo and one for the heater flap operation. There is a vacuum reservoir on the top of the RH fuel tank and the suck comes from the inlet side of the engine...there's a steel pipe which joins all the chokes, thus producing constant suck, and the hoses from this go down past the alternator to their respective destinations.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The S1 is quite different by the sounds of it John - my car only has 4 pipes running through the chassis. Two are big bore for the radiator flow and return, there is a single one for the heater and a single one for the servo. The other heater pipe is t'eed off the big bore one at the front of the car near the radiator. The rear brake pipe and the clutch pipe run on the outside of the chassis.

Paul.

Hi Paul, yes I can see it now (different computer). That's looks splendid! However, what does the servo hose connect to in the engine bay is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, the workshop manual seems persistent in not wanting to reveal this....

• Gold FFM

Don't you just hate those persistent pesky service manuals? :lol:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Paul, seems we don't understand eachother. What you are telling me is where is connects in the front of the car, but I need to know where the other end of the pipe connects to in the back of the car....

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...