Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
exhaust manifold - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

exhaust manifold

Good evening guys,

I am sure this topic has been covered but in searching for it I can find lots of really good stuff but nothing that answers a simple question.

I have an S1 esprit and like many when I took off the exhaust manifold it was cracked and broken. I understand that it isnt worth trying to weld as it doesnt go well so my options are a new tubular manifold or find a replacement.

The question is do all of the n/a fit or were there any material differences between the S1 and the later models?

cheers

Frank

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Frank:

I have the origional cast iron maniforld from my S1 (vin no. 116H), a Federal car. It seems to be in fine condition. I replaced it with a SS exhaust system from SJS. I like their system from a performance stand point although a frame modification is required. If you are interested in the cast iron unit let me know. Where are you - this thing is heavy and shipping cost could be important.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am in the Uk and from experience shipping stuff from the US can be really expensive so I fear that shipping something so heavy may cost a fortune. I was looking at the tubular system from SJS and it looks very nice but understand that the engine bay brace needs moving out a bit so it doesn't foul the pipes....strange.

I saw a manifold come up for sale from an S3 on ebay which was relatively local but would be no good if it doesn't fit, lucky Pete came in with the advice or I would have had a large paperweight on my hands.

I will have a look at the cost of postage today and see what it might cost.

cheers

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I did see this and the comment in the blurb about fitting all models 'with adaption' led me to ask the questions about which manifold fitted the S1. It looks like the tubular headers fit 'with adaption' as they foul the triangulation bar so wondered if the later S3 manifold was the same as there are more of these around and are therefore cheaper and better condition to buy.

I think on a cost basis if I was going to spend this amount of money I may opt for the tubular system if for nothing else the looks.....

I need to get the manifold sorted before I refit the body but taking into account all of the delays (time and monetary) I have experienced it may not be in an immediate problem :) as i tell everyone......I will plan to finish it this Summer.....trouble is been saying that for the last 3 years

Frank:

I bought the SS tubular exhaust system from SJS for my S1 and love it. The modification to the engine bay brace to clear the exhaust pipes is very simple - I just welded a length of square tubing along the out side of the brace - and then marked and cut away the portion of the origional brace where it interfered with the exhaust tubing. Not much needed to be cut away.

Since the brace goes in and out with two bolds, this took no time, was very strong and was very inexpensive. If you need pictures, let me know.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Could you post a photo, would be very interested to see. I still have the SJ manifold on my list and if this year's tax refund is big enough I might just pull the trigger.

Thanks, Gav.

Hi Gav:

I didn't take photos during frabrication (I usually do) but here are some of the installed brace. Of courseit is buried under the left engine cam but you can get the idea. The first threepotos are from the engine bay looking down. The 3rd pic is from below the car looking up. You can see the bolt at the engine mount plate. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bob

post-652-0-13312500-1330019397.jpg

post-652-0-13312500-1330019397.jpg

post-652-0-34626500-1330019418.jpg

post-652-0-45048700-1330019440.jpg

post-652-0-20547400-1330019367.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris:

In the restoration process, I did not drive my S1 with the origional manifold. So, I can't compare. Others who drove my car and a stock one thought the SS headers did provide a performance boost. But we have done no tests so can't be sure. From past experience, four into one tuned headers definitely are the way to go.

As to the sound. I have the full SS exhaust system sold by SJS. It definitely has a pressence. It is not too loud, nor is it quiet. Beautiful note thru out excelleration (but not loud in the cabin). I really like it. If you find it is too loud, there is room in the ehaust set-up for an additional in-line muffler.

Cheers,

Bob