Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speedo Cable (Rear Section) Removal - advice needed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedo Cable (Rear Section) Removal - advice needed

Hi all!

I recently imported a 1991MY Esprit SE from the UK and somewhere in Denmark the speedo died. The first indication that there was a problem was the fact the speedo was registering 20 km/h more than the GPS only to completely up and die shortly thereafter. The odometer died with it.

Anyways so this weekend I lifted the car up, popped the speedo cable off at both ends, and turned it in its sheathe only to find the other end wasnt rotating. Pulling the rear-section out revealed that it had twisted itself off. Oh well, fair enough I suppose for a car over 20 years old.

So I've ordered a new rear-section from SJS, but the location where the two halves meet looks like a right pain in the a** to access - does anyone here have any advice on how to do this as painlessly as possible without having to lift out the engine (this would prove extremely expensive as I don't have a garage of my own!)

Hopefully the new cable will arrive by friday so I can dedicate the following weekend to mounting the bugger (and reconnecting at the speedo end too).

Thanks a million in advance! :)

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well when i fitted the rear section of the speedo i did it with the alternator removed, i was taking the alternator off to have a new case on it but gave much needed room. you may be able to get to it with the car in the air. or take the air filter box off (need to do this to access the speedo clips)

i have had my alternator on and off the car a few times so taking it off is now pretty straight forward as is tightning the belt.

you may be able to get to it with the alternator on but i seem to remember its close to the aircon compressor so access is quite tight. you can just see the speedo cable connection below the alternator to the right

eb999b83.jpg

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

It's Oogies turn to boogie

On my 89 SE, the cable entering the firewall looks like this. I don't know off hand if the 89 uses a 2 piece cable, but if your car is like the 89SE, it doesn't look like you'd need much access at the front of the engine.

P1010014.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi guys!

Thanks for the tips: I'll try and avoid removing the alternator though as I am a complete and utter noob - I don't wanna risk removing something that I cant replace in a short time as I'll be renting a garage that features a lift, so I'll try to raise the car up (said garage charges by the minute too!).

If that way fails I'll go the alternator route with the car jacked up in the yard - that way I'd be able to crawl under and reconnect at the gearbox right angle drive when the new cable is fitted!

Mr Vulcan Grey: unless it's been replaced i think you're lucky enough to have the one piece cable - IIRC according to the service notes, the switch was made during 1990MY cars at some point - it states which chassis-numbers are affected.

I'll let y'all know how it goes once I've got the new cable!

On a side note, most people think I'm mentally deficient for buying this car - most of my friends go for Audi's BMW's MB's and other German brands because they "never break". Maybe I am crazy, and maybe I'm not, but it's damned nice to have such a vibrant and active community for the Esprit - these forums are a goldmine of technical advice. And if nothing else, they're always a consolation when you find that someone somewhere has been in the same situation before :D

The rear section isnt that bad. It joins the front section by the all

Alternator as mentioned...best do it wheb the engine is cold, assume the lotus hug position...ie lying over the engine...then youll see the Connection between the alternator and firewall. This just unscrews, although may be tight with age. Next youll find its attached along that right hand side of the engine bay with p-clips..these wlll be rusted in place. Easy option is to just zip tie the new cable along the same route...then as and wheb the engine comes out remove properly..its not a bad job really. Just be aware your sticking your hands in tight places so expect a scratch and hence why you need to do it with everything cold.simples! Darren

The rear section isnt that bad. It joins the front section by the all

Alternator as mentioned...best do it wheb the engine is cold, assume the lotus hug position...ie lying over the engine...then youll see the Connection between the alternator and firewall. This just unscrews, although may be tight with age. Next youll find its attached along that right hand side of the engine bay with p-clips..these wlll be rusted in place. Easy option is to just zip tie the new cable along the same route...then as and wheb the engine comes out remove properly..its not a bad job really. Just be aware your sticking your hands in tight places so expect a scratch and hence why you need to do it with everything cold.simples! Darren

Ps, sorry just speed read your thread...obviously this only applies to the two piece cable, and youll only need to get underneath to disconnect from the gearbox, which is a.clip..you can do.the rest from up top lie down..

• 2 weeks later...

Done and dusted! Fitted the rear cable from beneath the car, then over at the binnacle end (had to spin it first to check everything was connected ok) - really wasn't such a bad job. Indescribable joy and relief at seeing the speedo and odometer return to life again!