Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine problem - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine problem

c4csnp

My car is an '88 USA Esprit Turbo. I was driving it around town yesterday and it was running great (always has up this point). All of sudden the engine just died. I took a look around the engine compartment and I didn't see any obvious reason for the sudden loss of power so I tried starting it again and the engine turned and sounded ok but wouldn't start and the needle on the oil pressure gauge stayed at zero. I let it cool down and tried again but the result was the same.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong before I take it to the shop and have them figure it out?

Edited by c4csnp

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be any number of things.

The standard procedure would be to first check the timing belt. Visually with someone cranking the engine. make sure all is moving correctly and then check the timing marks to insure it has not jumped. That gets the big worry out of the way.

The next two steps are fuel and spark.

The fuel is easy ...is it getting to injectors or carbs . what ever your system is, check pressure and supply . (slacken pipe to check)

check the spark in the usual way.

one of these three will lead you in the direction of your fault.

In a total stop like this it should show one or the other not working properly.

Don't worry about the oil pressure , it will not show on the gauge when cranking unless continual for some time and in tip top condition.

Dave

Edited by CHANGES

Timing belt and fuel pump fuses check out ok. What's the usual way to check for spark? Should I be able to hear the fuel pumps running when the key is turned to the on postion? I've also noticed that when I crank the engine it seems to cause a bit of an electrical drain so i'm thinking maybe a bad alternator or starter. The alternator was replaced in 2003. The starter appears to original.

Edited by c4csnp

Hi Tim,

A fuel pump running does not always mean it is pumping. you will need to loosen a fuel line enough to see if there is

pressure when the ignition is on. This will vary on what system you have but the principal is the same.

To check a spark , remove one plug from the engine or use a spare , connect to the HT lead and lay on the block as an earth.

While the engine is cranking observe the electrode and you should see the spark strong and consistent ,

( warning do not touch or hold the plug while cranking) This would be a shocking thing to do..

If the engine is turning over you should get a spark regardless of alternator condition.

Was the alternator light on before it stopped ?

Is the battery fully charged now you have been cranking so much trying to start it ? ( may be worth topping up the charge overnight)

This may be why it is sounding like its draining. ( how old is the battery ?)

Have you checked the various electronic connection on the engine to insure it is not caused by something just coming loose.?

Dave

Edited by CHANGES

mine did same a few months ago and it was a cracked rotor arm

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Sounds like alternator short to me.. if it just died while running and didn't spit or sputter.. the fact that you have no oil pressure or any guage movement while turning it over... tells me that it's electrical.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 3 weeks later...

Tim,

Perhaps, your car suffers from a "Sudden Death Syndrome" which takes one by surprise when primary pump ingests rust debris from the tank.

Esprits are notorious for rusty tanks, (poor galvanization). Adding an insult to the injury is ethanol, which is very corrosive. Considering that our tanks are 20+ years old, nothing will stop the rust. Bosch CIS K-Jetronic injection system is pretty reliable, BUT very sensitive to contamination. Better, yet: Lotus did not install any strainer/filter in front of the pumps.

Check if pumps are turning by jumpering terminals at the pump relay sockets.

The proper connections to jumper are noted here:

http://lotusracer. home.mchsi. com/lotustipspag e2.htm

Remove both pump relays. Make two “jumper” wires with 2 spade

terminals on each end. Plug one end in the relay socket slot towards the front of

the car (black wire), and the other end in the slot towards the rear of

the car (banded wire). You should jumper the primary pump FIRST (the

relay socket to the left), BEFORE you jumper the secondary pump (right relay socket).

Otherwise, or you could actually damage the secondary pump by running it dry.

Keep both pumps running for a minute or two and listen to their hummm. If it is intermittent or stops, that is your culprit. If they run nice and steady your problem is electrical.

To stop, disconnect the positive battery cable.

If you hear grinding, or no sound at all, it is a time to flush the tanks, replace the filter and rebuild the pumps. To avoid future problems, IMO, you should plumb-in a compact strainer-filter, 30-50 micron, like Earl's PN#230108ERL or similar, between the tank and primary pump. Clean the strainer, flush tanks and replace paper filter every year until you sell the car.

Good Luck

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS