Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front springs S2.2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front springs S2.2

I do have a problem with the front springs of my S2.2 that they seem to be to soft.

I have to much contact and I am hitting and breaking things in the front .

I already found a lot on front springs here, but no real solutions.

For example : How about the rideheight of the SJ frontsprings?Euro spec -US spec? Who has installed them , and are you happy with them ?

Are there other solutions available?

Geert

Yes,

I am sure its not dampers, because dampers and springs,although they work close together, have a totally different job.

The dampers are replaced and I experimented a bit with them.

If I set them to soft, the car has no roadholding. If i set them right, the car gets a good handling. They simply do what they are designed for.

It is not as if the car handles bad. It handles really fine

The trouble is the springrate. They are simply to soft.

If I go sit in the car, it gets to low, If I take a codriver it is even worse, but more important, If I drive slowly on or of a bump the front bumps into things.

I could experiment with setting the dampers much harder, but that is no solution, because when I set them to hard, the springs simply dont have the power anymore, to push the car back up against the reboundforce of the damper, and its ride hide comes to a balance on a lower ride height.(jacking down)

SO

SPRINGS please.

Who has changed them ? With what ? And was it OK?

Geert

Edited by gvy

And did you change them?

I have no idea if my springs are original. They were on the car when I bought it. They look in a good condition. They are red coloured and yes, they are to soft...( and low)

So that is why I am looking for better springs in front.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Ok,

That is no option for my S2.2.

I think S3 / turbo Esprit is different. I didnt think Eibach has frontsprings for S1/S2/S2.2 ?

Are there other suggestions / good experiences on front springs for S1/S2/S2.2 on the forum ?

Geert

I just replaced the front sprints on my early Federal S1. The original springs had sagged producing a ground clearance of 4.5 inches. Manual says 6 inches is correct. On bumps, the front end was "banging". I have Protech shocks and adjusting them didn't help. (Duh).

I bought springs from SJS. The springs had the yellow painted strip and SJS said they came from Lotus. The no. of free coils and height were correct by the manual but the spring (wire) diameter was smaller than those on the car.

I installed them and the ride height is now just under 7 inches (no passengers). I suspect they will "settle in." The car rides and handles beautifully. No more "banging" on bumps. They were not particularly expense (around $50 each). I'd recommend you talk to SJS about the springs you need for your S2.2. They helped me.

Bob

Hi Geert,

I fitted the Sj springs on my S2. Initially the ride height was a little high having set the suspension as per the manual but they have settled after about 2000 miles and I no longer have problems with the tyre scrubbing the top of the wheel arch when going over bumps at speed that I had before replacing the springs.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thank you Pete and Bob.

Your answers give me a bit of confidence to go this way too.

I found it strange, that nothing much was found on the internet concerning the changing of springs of the early Giugiaro cars.

Oh,

When I am measuring the groundclearance to the backbone chassis in front ( The T) I measure 5.12 inch (13cm)

But the glassfibre protection of the radiators in front is sitting a bit lower with a clearance of only 4 inch. This is already damaged and needs repairs

And I measured without someone sitting in the car...and I have already installed extra PU rings under the springs to get the car a bit higher.

In the back I measure about 6 inch ground clearance to the chassis, So that seems OK

Can you post a side foto of your car to see its stance ?

Edited by gvy

Hi Geert,

I too have damage to the rad cowling and I ended up using some aluminium bent arond the corner where the braces bolt on which seems to have added a little protection when it does get scraped.

I'll try and get a photo for you.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Geert,

I too have damage to the rad cowling and I ended up using some aluminium bent arond the corner where the braces bolt on which seems to have added a little protection when it does get scraped.

I'll try and get a photo for you.

Pete

Pete ,

That would be nice.

My dad also suggested some sort of plate protection.

And in the coming days , I will take the radiator out (one of the fans is also damaged) and have a look at repairs, so a picture of your solution is welcome.

Geert

• 1 year later...

I bought the SJ springs, but things became worse. The car was even closer to the ground ....

So I use my old springs again. Pitty I bought the SJ springs, and never used them.

But to get the car higher about 3.5 cm ,I made two 4.5cm high stainless steel rings that fit exactly in the springcups above.

Then I made some rubber donuts.

Foto0529_zpsfc0c22ca.jpg

Foto0531_zps23e422ae.jpg

Foto0533_zps6e3384d9.jpg

For now the car stands OK, but I would prefer to have a set of springs that are a bit stiffer and higher without the rubber donuts.

I cant seem to find a reason why the car sits so low, althoug, if I look at other S1 / S2 cars, I can see they all sit low.

AND,

To protect the front of the car (radiator/fans etc...) I made an aluminium shield, that fits exactly above the polyester

Foto0526_zpsc92d2ac5.jpg

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...