Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 needing total restoration, available soon - Spotted - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1978 Lotus Esprit S2 needing total restoration, available soon

MGSanJose

I registered into this group just to try and save this 1978 Esprit. I am a tow driver for Pick-N-Pull of San Jose California. I picked up this Esprit, and since it came with a "Junk" slip, my employers wanted to set it in the recycling yard to be pulled for parts. I convinced them that this car is too rare and special to be dismantled. They seem to have agreed, and the car is awaiting some paperwork to clear. Hopefully it will be placed for sale soon. I don't know what phone number to call if interested, but you can look it up. The address is 1065 commercial St., San Jose CA, 95112.

Cheers,

Mel

post-14575-0-73665700-1338343844.jpgpost-14575-0-89422000-1338343853.jpgpost-14575-0-97280400-1338343862.jpgpost-14575-0-13699400-1338343868.jpgpost-14575-0-67146700-1338343873.jpgpost-14575-0-88925200-1338343877.jpgpost-14575-0-77150200-1338343884.jpg

post-14575-0-61719200-1338344115.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Hi Mel, :welcome:

Thanks for the post and the keen eye. :thumbup:

Hopefully, someone may be interested in looking at it as a project. Definitely looks like it needs some work.

Sad to see someone letting such a rare car deteriorate into such a state.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Maybe useful as a track car? It is complete, except for the rear bumper. Seems like moisture was the main culprit. Underneath is solid. If sold, it would have a salvage title. I'm curious as to what the color is called, I really like it. Anyways, I do hope someone sees potential in it and saves it.

Mel

• Gold FFM

There's a big esprit colour thread going on here at the moment. Someone will see this thread that will be able to identify the colour.

I'm a bit stumped at what looks like new tyres on it?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

"Roman Bronze" otherwise known as metallic brown, a rare and IMHO desirable colour on an S2

There were some pictures floating about the internet of an American brown S2 with gold wheels, wonder if it's the same car?

Very noble of you to consider saving it, hope someone takes it on.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The auto shop where I picked it up tried to sell it as well, with no luck. Probably was the same vehicle. Yes, the tires do appear to be fairly new. Not even any dry rot. "Roman Bronze," what a great color! I really will hate to see this crushed if no one saves it. Since the body is fiberglass, the forklifts will tear it off, throw it in the trash and the metal chassis will be crushed along with another car. That's how it's done with motorhomes and boats. Only 558 Esprits were built in '78, and around 400 were imported to the U.S.! Eliminate crashed cars and this is a rare car indeed. Once it clears and is available for sale (or not), I'll post.

Mel

Thanks for trying to save another rare car. More and more people are letting rare cars slip away to be scrapped cause they dont want to take on the task of restoring them and its a shame to see them disappear. Hopefully someone will be able to save another this car (i would if i didnt already have an esprit in restoration). Good job!

Paperwork hasn't cleared, so no price set on it yet. My guess is that it should go for around $2000. For example there's a '70 Mustang for sale that's priced at $2600 (in better condition than Esprit). I don't think Pick-N-Pull uses eBay. They may advertise on Craig's List. Anyways, when I see they have it for sale, or if they decide to dismantle, I'll post it.

Mel

• Gold FFM

You could always take it on Mel? You're obviously knowledgable enough to have identified and saved it, join us crazy lot here.

It's even in a colour that you like.

Oh if only I did have the money. I will say that I've been buying extra Lotto tickets this past month. I surely would throw lots o' cash into a total restore/upgrade. I imagine upgraded brakes, suspension, maybe even a turbo. How about some carbon fiber panels in the engine bay in place of the wooden ones? Since it's a salvage, the possibilities are nearly limitless. I'm going crazy just thinking about it, especially when I see it every day at work. It's maddening!

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mel-

Has there been any movement on this?

I'm going to be up in San Francisco next week and if there's a possibility of it being for sale I might consider swinging by to see it in person.

Thanks.

Masher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Another Tony with an S1! Welcome to TLF Tony. :welcome:

You need to get over to the Introductions thread and say hi in there and post up some pics of your S1. Especially since it has all those new bits on it.

Any questions or issues with the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Well, here's what I found out today. Pic-n-Pull has had problems in the past with junk slip sales, where the buyer was unable to title the car, then was forced to buy back the car and in some cases, refund repair work that the buyer had put into the car as well. So the decision has come down that the Lotus will not be sold, instead, it will be set in the yard to be parted out and eventually scrapped.

Sorry guys, I thought it could be done as I purchased a 1981 Checker from here on a junk slip and had no problem getting it titled. I may be posting pictures of it set and probably crushed. What a sad day for the Esprit.

Mel

You did your best to save it which is more than anyone else has done. Having said that it looks from the condition in the photos that it would have been a costly restoration, we can only hope she yields some spares to keep other cars running.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 1 month later...

So an update is in order. The Esprit was set about a month ago and it's been gone over pretty well. Hardly recognizable. Looks like somone needed the doors, roof, hatch, and nose. Other various pieces have been removed. At least it didn't "die" in vain, as parts of it are being used so that another may live.

post-14575-0-98626900-1347581732.jpg

post-14575-0-73340300-1347581734.jpg

post-14575-0-01371400-1347581736.jpg

post-14575-0-30975400-1347581738.jpg

post-14575-0-01488200-1347581740.jpg

post-14575-0-64562800-1347581741.jpg

post-14575-0-51729200-1347581742.jpg

post-14575-0-33702600-1347581743.jpg

post-14575-0-23396700-1347581744.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, what a waste of a great car. 

Maybe Richard Rawlings and the rest of his Fast 'N' Crew at Gas Monkey Garage could buy that Lotus as is and rebuild it into the car we know it can be. 

At least its not completely totaled like the Ferrari F40 they did was.  That F40 had to be completely rebuilt from the frame up.

Edited by Knightewolfe