Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Does tach work with Pertronix ignition? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Does tach work with Pertronix ignition?

mr50bmg

Hello all,

A while back, my '84 Turbo Esprit came to a halt with what was diagnosed as a bad coil. Possibly the electronic ignition module was also bad. I agreed to have this, along with the distributor bits, replaced by a Pertronix system (though, in the interests of originality, I might consider going back if parts are available).

Anyway, the car runs but the tach is dead. Occasionally it will swing wildly between 0 and 2k. Maybe the tach died when the coil did or maybe it doesn't work with Pertronix?

I really need the tach to work. Can it be removed by taking the fascia screws off or does the whole binnacle need to come off? The parts and service manuals don't make this clear.

Thanks!

Dave

--

Once you start using Windows, your brain has a half-life.

--

Every time a new Windows OS comes out, I feel like a stroke patient: I have to relearn everything. Yet, I have UNIX manuals from 1976 that are still correct today. New functionality should build upon an unchanging foundation.

All Cows Eat Grass

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

hi i had what i thought was an ignition caused miss fire ,i replaced the usual suspects leads coil etc i was assured that the coil was the correct replacement ,however car ran fine but tach did similar, erratic indications replaced, original back to normal als i have info from lotus regarding the ignition amp parts which are available from your local motor store if you wish to pm me hope this helps steve,

Yep, works fine in mine. I did have an issue with the rev limiter though not letting the car start..I just disconnected it..

Rob

Edited by rlc

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Thanks - nice to know the Pertronix isn't the problem.

So, can the tach be removed by taking the fascia screws off or does the whole binnacle need to come off? The parts and service manuals don't make this clear.

Dave

--

Once you start using Windows, your brain has a half-life

--

Every time a new Windows OS comes out, I feel like a stroke patient: I have to relearn everything. Yet, I have UNIX manuals from 1976 that are still correct today. New functionality should build upon an unchanging foundation.

All Cows Eat Grass

• Gold FFM

Fascia screws can be undone to take off the panel, then you should be able to tilt the instrument panel forward to access the back of them - although it is a pretty tight fit. Be careful with the speedometer cable - you might have to un-click this to remove pull the instruments forward - I think you have to pinch something and turn the cable a little to remove it (I think) - but the clip will be brittle with age (mine snapped very easily) - it must be clicked back on properly otherwise the speedo won't work... All of the instruments are individually wired, so you cant really undo a couple of plugs and remove the binnacle... (also removing the binnacle requires unbolting some difficult to reach bolts...

If the cable is the same setup as mine, you need to pinch the plastic end of the cable 180 deg apart and the pull on the cable. You'll feel that the plastic part gives when you pinch it at the right location.

Worse case worse, removing the binacle is not that bad...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!