Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Shocking problem - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Shocking problem

Hi, still struggling to find an alternative set of shocks for my '90 NA X180. The rears are starting to leak so I've researched on line and there is a gap on shocks that can be supplied up to '87 and then again from '92.What happened during this period!?

Ideally I'd like to fit Spax adjustables which I can get for approx £100 a corner but don't want to take a pricey gamble.

I see people have fitted them to '92 onward but I'm still unsure if they'll fit a '90.

Grateful for thoughts and suggestions

Cheers

Martin

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spax will fit. The best confirmation is that the rear dampers for all 4 pots form Model year '85 onwards are the same part if you were to go for the new Lotus dampers.

http://lotusespritworld.co.uk/EGuides/EModifications/Lotus_Suspension.html

Great! Thanks Andy, the table shows exactly the info I needed, can't believe I didn't find it on LEW. I'll order the shocks for front and rear and do a report on here.

Euro performance seem to be £104.49, Spax direct via ebay £99.99 Any other suggestions on where to buy from?

Cheers

Martin

I'm now using AVO on the latest Excel.

the gold one ha d new rear Spax fitted to match the others.

There are also GAZ which are a fair bit cheaper but you can also say you get what you pay for.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=gazrearshocks;car=lotusesprit;manufacturer=gaz;sub_category=1

Modification?  :huh:

The SPAX spring adjusters can't go low enough to attain proper 170mm front ride height...  So you have to leave some of the original parts out...  Or shave the rubber spacer down.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 3 months later...

The SPAX spring adjusters can't go low enough to attain proper 170mm front ride height...  So you have to leave some of the original parts out...  Or shave the rubber spacer down.

Where from and to is the 170mm height measured?

With the car on the ground, the pinch bolts loose at all rotation points and the correct weight in the car (half tanks of fuel and weighted in both driver & passenger side-50kg each IIRC) the car should have 170mm form ground to underside of the front chassis cross-member.

Ignore the 170 mm ride height, this is only valid for original suspension components in perfect OE condition (and represents the mid laden height when two 'average' people of 70kg are in the car and can vary according to the model). Load the car seats to match the driver and passenger weight (or driver only if you're typically the only solitary occupant if you prefer) and have the fuel tanks half full with the car sat on it's wheels to get the height.