Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ABS Light - Freescan - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ABS Light - Freescan

If you read my thread pinned at the top of this section it will give you detailed info on this system and repairing it with great success.. Access to the switch can also be made using a suitable deep reach socket..28mm I think..or was it 30something...cant remember right now.this doesnt need the accumulator removing. Also, and I would strongly recomend this...when was your fluid last fully changed? If its.due or due soon..remove the pump assembly, replace the rubber.hose with new epdm material hose, as the old one will be sweating fluid over time, and then your free to remove the.switch and accumulator if needed on the.bench. Then, rebleed using the method I describe. This will ensure that the fluid is.good, the.hose is new and perfect and if youve changed the switch or accumulator, that will be donw easily. I would say that even if you change the accumulator, the system probably wont be up to the right pressure still, even if it seems slightly better. It more than likely is a.weak.switch.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Darren, thanks for the advice, I've already read your posts with interest as I would like to keep the original ABS system if possible.

The strange thing is that at the moment the pedal preesure seems better than it ever was ( although I haven't driven her much over Winter ) The pedal used to push back at you when pressed sometimes but at the moment the 'feel' is good & pressure constant it's just that the  pump runs too often.

I had a quick look last night & it appears that the pipe from the reservior is sweating so I think I'll do what you suggest & take the whole assembly off the car. 

Derek ( or anyone else ) can you tell me the part number for the Ford Granada/Scorpio accumulator ? I have searched on-line & all I find is accumulator / condenser drier which looks nothing like the accumulator on the Esprit.

Thanks again, Phil.

Phil, youll find the pedal is more consistent with the abs either disconnected or completely not working. Basically, the abs ecu wont be controlling and using the solenoids to control fluid and if its malfunctioning itll be controlling them sporadically or inefficiently thus giving a n unsettled feel (in basic terms). When the abs functions correctly, it will be more consistent.

Hi Guys, Have ABS light coming on permanently as soon as i start to drive. When stood still after initial start up, everything is working as it should be, pump cutting in every 3rd press or so, no light etc. So im assuming its a wheel sensor to blame, and was going to run Freescan tomorrow to pinpoint the problem. Having read this thread am i correct in thinking this won't tell me anything and therefore will have to use Espritmon? If this is the case, i don't think i have used it before. Can i download it from the link in the earlier post, or is there more to it than that? Only other thing to mention is the car(1994 S4) has been at the paintshop for the last few weeks where it had a flat battery for most of this time. It didn't have the fault when it went in! Thanks in anticipation, as always.

Hi Guys, Have ABS light coming on permanently as soon as i start to drive. When stood still after initial start up, everything is working as it should be, pump cutting in every 3rd press or so, no light etc. So im assuming its a wheel sensor to blame, and was going to run Freescan tomorrow to pinpoint the problem. Having read this thread am i correct in thinking this won't tell me anything and therefore will have to use Espritmon? If this is the case, i don't think i have used it before. Can i download it from the link in the earlier post, or is there more to it than that? Only other thing to mention is the car(1994 S4) has been at the paintshop for the last few weeks where it had a flat battery for most of this time. It didn't have the fault when it went in! Thanks in anticipation, as always.

Hi, have you checked the brakes lights are working. Mine had the light on & it was due to the switch on the brake pedal not working so braked lights did not come on.

Worth a check ?

Phil.

Esprimon is the way to go then. May need it for mine yet but last time I tried I couldn't get it to work & now my laptop has suddenly decided to pack up as well ! How is it you can use something, turn it off & then when you try to switch it on a week later it doesn't work !!

Phil.

Right then.. Going back to where I started. I had a chance to have a look at the car today and as it turns out the brake switch on the pedal is faulty after all be it intermittent. So I have taken it out and repaired it as best as possible but I will need to replace it.

It's marked as Ford D01EC. Clearly a ford part. Any idea what car it's off? May try to get one from the scrap yard tomorrow in the short term

I think it is a Ford part but it's not very robust, I think I replaced mine with a better quality one but can't remember where I got it, I'll have  look through my receipts & see if I can find out.

Phil.

So I am having an intermittent Anti Lock light coming on. Sometimes it is flashing, sometimes solid. Sometimes it goes off after the car is restarted. I connected Espritmon and found error 56 TST Fail, and ABS status shows disabled. I am researching what that means. Anyone know?

FYI, the pump seems to engage after every 3rd or so press and the brake lights work.

Edit: Started again with Espritmon connected and no errors showing at the tell tale light is off. just went for a ride and all seems well. I know something is tripping the light but I have no idea what it is. The car was sitting for a few months so maybe it will sort itself out... Esprits do that right? :)

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

Thanks for the info. No light at all yesterday. Today it is back on. Seems it is most likely to happen when I let it idle for awhile in the driveway to let it warm up. Brake lights are working perfectly so I am not sure what else to check as far as that goes.

John
94 S4

I checked with EspritMon again and now it is giving code 57, brake fuse low. Brake lights are still working and I double checked the brake light fuse. No idea what to check now. Anyone?

John
94 S4

Hi, I'm just guessing but could it be high resistance through the brake switch or circuit cables, bulb hoders etc ?

What would 'brake fuse low' mean ? To me a fuse it either working or not ?

It may be worth swapping the brake switch over anyway.

Hope you get it sorted.

Phil.

I am with you about the fuse error. Doesn't make sense. Maybe I will go ahead and pull all the brake bulbs and the switch and make sure they are all seated well and working correctly.

John
94 S4

The brake "on and off' corresponds correctly to pressing the brake. I don't recall seeing "OK" but there we no other errors or red items.

Confirmed again this morning that I started the car in the driveway and let it run for about 15 min to warm up. The ABS light was not on immediately after it started but when I went back out 15 min later, it was on. Sometimes it is solid, sometimes flashing.

Thanks for the help. I am at a loss.

John
94 S4

Thanks for the info but I am not sure what pins are J1/D9 J1/C11. I am looking at the pinout for the ABS ECM in the service manual but they are labeled J1-01, to J1-26. I dont see any labeled as you have listed.

Thanks

Well, I just ran the car and was planning on looking for the correct pins to test at. But, I connected Espritmon once again just to check and now it is showing 62, "low acumulator". Thing is that when I move the car out of the garage, I set the Ebrake and get out. No light is on at the time. When I come back, the light is on so it doesn't come on while pressing the brake pedal so I am not sure the issue is related to the brake switch (As much as I wish it was).

So, looks like I need to troubleshoot the acumulator and or pressure switch. I am researching that now but any advice appreciated.

Thanks

John
94 S4