Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Question for everyone in Sydney, Australia - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Question for everyone in Sydney, Australia

Lex Templar

Thankfully brand new tanks were put in two years ago. Steve the things that have gone wrong are things that should have been done as part of the re-commissioning by the mechanic. Every other part of the car has been done. When I say re-commissioning, the car has been off the road for only a year.

Cam belts, cam box leak, brakes and hoses are regulation. It could have been done in 2 weeks.

There's always something to do, it;s all part of the fun of owning an Esprit I guess.  Right now I'm working on a Jaguar XK8 I picked up a few weeks ago and wondering if I have done the right thing.  My Esprit is a joy compared to this lump of British Engineering - but as much as I complain, I love working on older English cars.

Let us know when you're up and running and we can organise a Sunday morning Esprit run to give your beasty a welcome to the Aussy roads..

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone. After spending close to $10,000 on my cam-belt, cam box leak and brake calipers I have been left with a manifold gasket blowing exhaust everywhere (don't ask)

My question is does anyone in Sydney have the know how and the tools to lift my engine and replace the manifold and gasket.

An agreed amount of money will be paid. I cant register the car until this is done!

Please let me know if you know of someone or would like to earn some money.

Lex

]

Lex that is a shocker. I hope it wasn't your car I saw as I drove past a certain Artarmon workshop.

I had my exhaust done at Quickfit mufflers in Gladesville. Very reasonable prices and non of the bull I got in Artarmon.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lex

Are you anywhere near on the road yet ?  Danny and I are itching to get out for a run and I believe Justin is roadworthy again too.

Hi Steve,

My car is registered, the manifold is now fixed :) just waiting on the genuine Lotus cooling hoses to arrive from the UK. I did 200kms in it 4 weeks ago before the hoses disintegrated and know that all this time and money spent is worth it..

Will let you know but I'm thinking Sunday week could be a good possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a run...what say you all!

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

It will one day Malcolm. The poor car barely had anything wrong with her. Routine stuff that was done in the time you could restore a whole car. Other stuff was girling and lucas.

Sydney is not equipped to work on these cars and I didn't feel confident straight up working on it. Now it is evident there is no choice but to do so.

Sorry to here that you are having more issues with your Esprit Alex, when you are ready to try again there are plenty of people here on the forum, some in Sydney, who may be happy to offer help and advice if required.  Maybe come along to the meeting point at one of the Sunday runs in your daily drive and hitch a ride. You will get to meet everyone and ask as many questions as you like.

Don't lose heart, when you eventually get the Esprit on the road it will give you lots of smiles.

• 5 months later...

Hi Dave,

Yes its back over there as they are rectifying it for me as well as the hoses. Where abouts are you?. Would love to check out your S3.

Lex, I feel for you. That particular mob are incompetent. I strongly recommend no one go there.

Hopefully you are back on the road now and we can have an Esprit run  now the weather is warming up.

I'm in West Ryde. My manifold was done at Quickfit mufflers. I have a workshop there and they always have sportscars in there, Ferrari, Maserati, British classics etc. I know the exhaust fitter well and he does a good job. Sadly they just got rid of their 2 post hoists. I think the job can be done on a 4-post, but it's harder.

Check everything on your invoices. I helped a mate find an Esprit and one we looked at had tonnes of receipts from Cremorne Prestige. The first one I pulled out was for changing the clutch hose to braided, looked under the car, the original red plastic hose was still there.

Dave

Guys I'm sticking the Esprit in the Storage for another time in my life (perhaps a year or so) There's only so much one can take. I have had to put a stop to the money flowing out.

Just saw this post mate. What is the current status, if I can give you a hand I will.

Dave

Hey Lex,

With these cars you really need to take a proactive and do it yourself approach. I've had a hell of a hard time over here in Quebec trying to find help. Most mechanics don't even want to look at it and the few who have, like yourself wanted a lot of money for seemingly simple jobs. 1000$ for a timing belt? I learned to do it myself with quite literally no car mechanic experience before starting. Do you have the manuals? They are a worthy investment, much more so than 1000$ for a timing belt.

She sure is a beauty, hope you get her back on the road soon.

Brian M.

I always had the impression that Lex was very patient and there was a huge willingness to see the challenge through. It could simply be a question of available funds.

I'll miss his enthusiasm for the early Turbo Esprits

Oh thats too bad, hopefully the buyer will join the forum and have more patience and willingness to see it through and take up the challenge of ownership.

Brian

Brian this has nothing to do with patience or willingness, it is a 100% financial decision based on how it has effected not only me but people around me.

Thanks Bazza, it's not sold yet so things can always turn around.

Lex, after xmas I may be able to help if you've still got it. My garage extension (6+workshop area) should be finished. You can park it here for a few weeks and I'll show you how to work on it yourself. I've got a trailer too if it's immobile.

DanR

Danny,

Thank you for your lovely offer. That would be great if the car is still around. Apart from running rich the car is completely sorted. I do need to get the carby's tunes. Where abouts are you located in Sydney? One major thing is that I do not have a garage to work on the car. 

Lex.

• Gold FFM

Have you considered challenging the garage that did the original $10,000 job for you? That price is just simply excessive.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi Lex,

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that you weren't up to the task and I can certainly appreciate the financial aspect. Many forum member's have sunk great sums of money and long periods of time working on their Esprits myself included so I can appreciate where you're coming from. Should you decide to keep or sell the car know that the many people here on the forum will go a long way to help, they certainly have for me.

Brian M.