Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Day to Day Supercars... - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Day to Day Supercars...

Having owned a few Porsches over the years I always said if you can only have one car make it a Porsche until I bought the R8.

After a while the Porsche will become boring and you see yourself coming and going as you drive around, the cool new special feeling fades quickly with a Porsche.

Must admit that I did not try the R8 as the V10 was not in my budget range but will note it for later on.

I'm far too tight to buy new cars and prefer to wait until they are about 4 years old and look to see if I can buy one with a manufacturers warranty at about 50-60% of the initial cost. That way if you are a bit indulgent you can actually buy two super cars.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Simon George's 2004 Murcielago was on 258k miles (258098 - over 28k miles pa) before someone crashed it. It's currently being rebuilt.

http://jalopnik.com/5980569/owner-crashes-the-worlds-highest-mileage-lamborghini-murcielago

Hi Pilko. Good to see you on here. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

that 458 looks like it is done in one of those strange Elise colors

....so could be a new Lotus from this perspective  ;)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

As mentioned Audi R8 and 911 are the obvious choices. Both can be had for relatively little money compared to the original prices and the Audi especially should be simple to run.

As someone mentioned the big issues can be servicing and maintenance.  Of course the other is depreciation and because so many were sold in the last 10 years there are a lot of cars coming to market where few people can justify the running costs. 

The car that seems to be dropping quite a lot here that should put it into this category in the next  few years is the SLS.  Really great noise.

I really didn't get on with the 911 turbo. It's just a bit dull when you get over the stunning acceleration.  A GT3 is a totally different story and I've been in normal Audis with less compliant suspension than a 997 GT3RS.  Only big problem is speed bumps and the front splitter.

I think a fast GT makes the most sense for a daily driver, but then I'm starting to think you either go GT or something really stripped out like the Exige S or even 211 for taking out just on a sunny sunday morning.  

In my recent search for a 4 seater I came across the Maserati Quattroporte which is a nice 4 seater but when I went to look at one at a Maserati dealer the car that really caught my eye was the Maserati Granturismo. Nick Whale has one in a dark red/plum and I really think it is the best looking car on the road today, it's bloody enormous but look at that line along the front wing/bonnet pure motor art. I understand they are not as scary a proposition these days either

I would love a Maserati, it's another heritage thing for me but I also their more understated, or perhaps more individual designs. As you say though, the Granturisimo is VAST. No idea on what their like to own, I know a few years ago I was seriously put off my reports of endless niggles, failures, parts issues and recent Ferrari type costs of servicing etc. Be good if they've got their act together...

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

I joined the sport maserati forum and got a fairly comprehensive picture of running costs and many people said they had run them for a while without major issues. The Quattroporte I looked at did have a £2K service bill though. It's a pity my daughter is near six foot otherwise I'd have tried to wedge her in the Granturismo and could have dismissed the Quattroporte.

I drove the Granturismo in S spec last year.  I cut the test drive short and left very disappointed.  It just felt big, heavy and (after driving a Rapide) not very sporty.  Looks are beaten by the sound though. As an object it's fantastic but it wasn't for me.