Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ABS Light, codes 56, 57, 62 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

ABS Light, codes 56, 57, 62

Ok, I was posting in another thread but was starting to hijack it so I decided to start fresh.

I am getting intermittent ABS light warnings. Sometimes solid, sometimes flashing. Sometimes I can take a drive and not get it at all. EspritMon has shown code 56, 57 and now 62.

The brakes work fine.

The brake lights work fine every time.

The pump comes on every 3 to 4 pedal pushes.

I am considering replacing the pressure switch and possibly accumulator.

So, first of all, anyone have any ideas on what else to check before going forward? I was advised to check the pins going into the ABS ECM for the correct voltage for the brake light switch when it is depressed and not depressed. I was about to do that until I just found the code 62.

So, assuming the next step is replacing the switch and accumulator, are there any exact (non-lotus) replacements? If so, any part numbers or links please? If not, what part numbers should I get and what do I need to adapt them?

I assume that if I replace the switch that I will have to bleed the system and might as well replace the accumulator at the same time. is this correct?

Thanks for any info.

John
94 S4

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

You don't have to bleed the system when you replace the switch or accumulator. Just depressurize the accumulator by pumping the pedal up to 40 times (or until the pedal gets hard) before you start. You'll only lose a few drops of fluid when you remove the parts.

That being said, a proper bleed when you're done can't hurt if it hasn't been flushed and bled recently....

Good luck,

Jim

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Thanks for the info Jim. Yesterday I double checked all the connections, topped off the fluid and made sure the top was secured well. I went through the 40 pedal pumps several times with ignition off and found that the pump runs about 30-40 seconds after turning the ignition on after de-pressurizing the system. The pump comes on every 3rd pedal press after that. Went for a long drive last night with several turn off and restarts and the light never came on.

So, anyone have a source for an accumulator and switch?

John
94 S4

Thanks Darren. So does this look like the correct accumulator?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-ABS-ACCUMULATOR-RANGE-P38-4-0-4-6-95-02-STC2784-WABCO-/160946669975?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item25792b4997

If so, basically I would just need a copper washer and it should work? Does that price seem like what it should go for?

So, if I replace the accumulator and still have issues with the light coming on and a low accumulator error in EspritMon, I should them try the new pressure switches? As mentioned in your thread, I could go with a PSP300 E 1/4P STL and a PMN150AE 1/4 STL and still have a warning light correct? Has anyone found a US source for switches such as these?

And finally, are the original switches just nowhere to be found anymore?

Thanks again.

On another note, I went for a long drive yesterday and after warming up, the light came on. I turned off, pumped the brakes and depressurized the system. Started the car and the pump ran for about 30 seconds. The rest of my drive, starting and stopping was no issues. After the last stop where it sat for about 1.5 hours, the light came back on about 10 min after starting for the ride home. Not sure if this can help someone tell me exactly what part is likely the culprit.

Thanks

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

John,

It sounds like your pressure switch is working correctly and the accumulator is low. I'd replace that first and see if it clears up your problems.

I don't know if the ebay link you posted is the correct part or not but the part you need is a GM part 25528382.

RockAuto.com shows it for $139.  A Jaguar part # JLM1907 will also work.

Jim

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

As mentioned, try the accumulator...it wont do anyharm to have a new one! With regards to the switches, you can use.the original switch to power the low pressure warning and use the new pressure switch to control the pump..

Just a quick note...you said earlier you topped up the system....how low was it? And have you definately got the level on,the right marker inside the reservoir...

That can be quite a bit...had you checked the level at any previous point? Which would give you an indication of how long its took for the level to drop..it could of course just be the amount sweated out through hose underneath the booster unit to the pump...or simply because brake pads have worn and the caliper pistons are further out..

Thanks everyone for all the help. I replaced the accumulator today and all is well! Here is the link for the accumulator I purchased if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300608786498?item=300608786498&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

John
94 S4

• 2 weeks later...

Well PHUK.... The light is back on. I have driven it quite a bit and on the interstate today it came back on. This time with error code 32: SW or Leak. I assume it has dropped pressure and is saying it has a leak or a bad switch. The error code in the service manual indicates a remedy or "C-9" but I do not see a section "C".

So, I will check for leaks, check the level and then assume it is a bad switch.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

John
94 S4

Ok, so if I were to press the brake and the switch was bad and not making the brake lights come on or letting the ECU know the brakes were being pressed, I could see the ABS ECU thinking there was an issue. but in my case, I was driving on the interstate when it came on. Not pressing the brakes etc. So, even if the brake switch was bad and somehow turned the brakes on and indicated the brakes were being pressed when they weren't, I don't see how that would throw this code.

So I guess this leaves the possibility that the pressure dropped below the threshold and threw this code. I don't see any leaks etc and the level in the master cylinder is correct. I just replaced the accumulator and that seemed to fix it (at least for a week or so).

Not sure what else to check but the light was still on after that initial drive but has been off since. Seems to be an intermittent issue which is going to make it tougher to figure out unfortunately.

John
94 S4

Hi, I was having similar issues ( maybe still am but haven't had chance to road test since I replaced my accumulator ) As I understand it you are correct in thinking when you press the brake pedal after 3 or 4 times the pump should run, the ABS ecu is then expecting the brake lights to come on because you are using the brakes.

If the brake lights aren't working & the pump has been running either the brake switch / lights are not working or you have a fluid leak which is causing the pressure to drop & the pump to run if you haven't pressed the brake pedal so the ecu throws a fault.

Mine was ( is ) the brake pedal switch not making contact when the pedal was pressed ( they can also have a problem where the pedal doesn't return to switch off the brake lights when you release the pedal )

To check for leaks leave the ignition turned on & listen for the pump periodically running indicating the system is loosing pressure.

Hope this makes sense & is some help.

Phil.