Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s hot starting problem. - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s hot starting problem.

Zolder

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

replaced pulsator with hose kit pump walbro

If the hose you used wasn't "fuel submersible" rated, then the hose might be falling apart in the fuel.

The hose that replaces the pulsation damper needs to be 

SAE J30R10 Submersible fuel hose Gates product #42195185, part # 27093, Napa parts #H209. Comes in 1 foot lengths and only in 5/16 ID.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 3 weeks later...

In your garage file, it looks like the engine stalled a few times. 

I don't see any other obvious issues, other than the IAC, which looks to be high, which can cause cold start problems.  Which would account for the stalling here.

I would start by following the procedure for adjusting the IAC counts with Freescan.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/57451-off-idle-stumble/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/4598-cold-start-problem/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/46164-poor-idlestall-on-start-up/

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Oh, you were turning the engine off and on repeatedly in the garage.csv file?

In your street.csv file, there is not enough data.  Set the sampling rate to (100ms) and got for a ~15min drive using all the gears and full boost.

For your garage.csv file, it is best if you turn on the car and let it idle from cold to 80C coolant temperature, do not touch the throttle or turn off the engine. Let it sit at 80C+ for a few min to let the IAC stabilize.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Alex,

I looked at the data from your car.

Looks pretty good, the only problems that I noticed were that your battery Volts were low on idle, and dipped down when you weren't driving.  You should look at the output of your alternator.

Your IAC was a little bit high at idle when the engine was warm (above 80C), it would be best to have the IAC between 20-40.

Your ECU is changing the fuel trim BLM vs. BLM cell in a way that means it thinks you are running rich.

And with your hot start issue, it may be that you have leaking injectors.  After you turn off the car, the fuel may drip into the cylinders and cause the engine to be flooded.

The Esprit ECU has a "Clear Flood Mode" where if you hold the throttle all the way down with your foot and crank the engine a while, it turns off the injectors and clears the flooded fuel out of the cylinders.  Then you should be able to start the engine normally.  Does this work?

Otherwise, your injectors may be leaky enough to still flood the engine even when they are off.  Try the clear flood mode with the fuel filler caps removed as well. 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

hi travis

the alternator is 14 Volt

my values ​​IAC is at least +/- 36 I have to adjust to +/- 30?

the fuel pressure is approximately +3 bar when I turn off the engine down slowly and after hours is at 0

a friend of mine says it is normal

you think an injector problem?

In freescan at idle your battery shows 12v, which is low for an Esprit.

Your IAC was up around 46 at idle when warm (80C water temp), it must be between 20-40 at idle.

The fuel pressure should be ~43PSI (3 bar) and rise 1:1 with boost, but the demand of the injectors will lower pressure some, a good pump and pressure regulator should be able to handle that.  Lotus has a specific test to make sure the fuel pump can supply enough fuel with demand, and to check the balance of each injector, check the EMH manual.

The fuel pump and pressure regulator should hold pressure in the rail for many hours after the engine is turned off.  If the pressure goes down to 0 after a few hours, then that is a sign of either a bad pump, a bad pressure regulator, or leaking injectors.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

sorry Travis

Using little esprit for this battery was to 12Volt

in other files is 13.5 volts

I measured with the alternator tester was 14volt

my thermostat opens at 75 ° is right?

IAC at 86° to a minimum is 35/37

a leaky injector should turn the engine with 3 cylinders?

always starts with 4 cylinders

Hot off the engine does not start at all and after 2 minutes you turn right

strange

you could have 4 leaky injectors, and the engine will still run.  Poorly.

If the leaky injectors pour liquid fuel into the plenum and cylinders after the engine is shut off, then that is a "flooded engine" and it won't start, until it dries out.  You can try "Clear flood mode", which helps dry the cylinders out.

Or you can look at the plugs and see if they are wet with fuel.

Thermostat is supposed to open at 82C.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

your coolant temperatures went a bit high at the start, but looked normal later.  

Good operating range is between 80C-95C(max).  The ECU coolant temp is a different sensor than the dash gauge, but they should agree.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

temperature gauge dash for a few months does not rise over 65 ° I changed the sensor but always 65 ° max

maybe the new sensor is not right? LUCAS SNB110

to ground the sensor wire gauge reaches full scale looks good

tips?

hi Travis

I have sent 3 emails with video

ignition engine with different temperatures

iac adjusted with a video and a video test with Clear flood mode

no positive results

take a look thanks

Out of interest have you checked your thermostat. If its sticking open (a common problem) then temperature will not get up to normal operating range.