Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
new exhaust - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

new exhaust

Ok, I know there is a topic about aftermarket exhaust but my english is pour :thumbdown:  end I prefer to do a new topic... :scared:

I bought an evora LE with standard exhaust (I'm not sure because the old owner was ignorant... but the exhaust's sound is like a diesel car...), and I'm waiting for the radium cai... 

I think that the radium cai will improve the sound but I think i'll need more... so I'm in the air between the larini and the 2bular. Which is the best? Any different? Suggestions?

I fitted a 2bular backbox which does away with the 3rd cat. Other than that, the vehicle is standard (not got round to purchasing a radium CAI yet). The transformation is amazing, it no longer sounds like a Toyota but a true performance car with purpose and really comes alive as the revs rise, without being too intrusive. The quality is good, excellent service from 2bular and considerable weight savings as an added bonus. In short - you would not be disappointed with the 2bular

See thread

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/54246-2bular/

thanks to all, I think I will buy 2bular exhaust... at first only the exhaust. I'll try it with the radium cai and then, if it won't be enough loud, i'll replace the 3rd cat...

Sorry to be dumb on this.  I have trawled through all the various different threads on this site concerning the exhaust and the differing opinions are really bamboozling me.  I have 2011 NA IPS with the same 'quiet' note coming from the exhaust.  Now that I have had this 9 months (can it be that already?) I am ready to change to something a little more noticeable.  Not 'pillock' noticeable but 'that's lovely' noticeable.  No more than £1,000.  Any quick answers?

I was going to dealer for the sports exhaust (blue tip) and removal of third cat (I think).  Is that a good result?

Quick answer: Yes, and it's cheap. Sound is good, but cars smells of petrol.

But it not be the most future proof option if you want to mod your car further. The 3rd cat ist not the main cat, as you probably know. The main cats sit in a ridiculous space in the headers. Removing them with new headers and replacing the 3rd cat with a proper 200 cell sports cat will give you sound and some more power.

If you are just after sound, get rid of the 3rd cat.

Sorry to be dumb on this.  I have trawled through all the various different threads on this site concerning the exhaust and the differing opinions are really bamboozling me.  I have 2011 NA IPS with the same 'quiet' note coming from the exhaust.  Now that I have had this 9 months (can it be that already?) I am ready to change to something a little more noticeable.  Not 'pillock' noticeable but 'that's lovely' noticeable.  No more than £1,000.  Any quick answers?

I was going to dealer for the sports exhaust (blue tip) and removal of third cat (I think).  Is that a good result?

Having recently done exactly this on a 2011 NA, I can tell you it probably falls in the camp of "pillock noticeable". IMO, decat alone still leaves things too quiet, but I have no experience of an NA without one...

If I was to do it all again, I'd find a friendly dealer who would be willing to fit a 2012/2013 exhaust.

Alternatively, try sports exhaust sans decat.

Acchan & JonneyB - I've got a NA Manual 2010 Evora with Stage One Lotus Sports Exhaust (Bluetip) and I'd defo recommend it.

Drove an identical car without one and the difference is massive, tbh I don't know why Lotus didn't just put it on as a standard exhaust because its very appropriate and given the small production line its a small investment for a big sensational gain!

Throaty, but not OTT... Its also a stock part so keeps the car original ish.

When you blat it i promise it puts a smile on your face ;-)

• 1 month later...

thanks to all, I think I will buy 2bular exhaust... at first only the exhaust. I'll try it with the radium cai and then, if it won't be enough loud, i'll replace the 3rd cat...

Have a look here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/59230-evora-s-full-2bular-exhaust-system-awesome/

Having recently done exactly this on a 2011 NA, I can tell you it probably falls in the camp of "pillock noticeable". IMO, decat alone still leaves things too quiet, but I have no experience of an NA without one...

If I was to do it all again, I'd find a friendly dealer who would be willing to fit a 2012/2013 exhaust.

Alternatively, try sports exhaust sans decat.

Hello all, I should probably say hello formally first but as a long time stalker and poster on PH I feel like I know you all anyway!

I too had a 2011 N/A and craved a bit more, I read and re-read every post on exhausts on this and other web sources and trawled the net for clips and from reading all the comments its obviously a very subjective issue.  What is obnoxious for one person is not loud enough for another, but seeing as we are posting on a petrolheads forum for exhausts here is my 2 cents... 

My Mods Larini de-cat and back box with K&N insert filter done in March 2013, prob covered 3k since then. I forget exactly but all in cost was less than 1k fitted from B&C

Definately no smell of petrol - Sven, I would have that looked at! - Cant see how a back box mod would lead to that but I am not a mechanic.  Please any readers dont let that stop you ;)

Sound is for me spot on, start her up and its just noticibly louder than stock but not in a bad way.  Those owners that have commented its going to wake the neighbours must live in a library ;).  I live in central Ltown so perhaps my frame of reference is different.  I have posted a short video here shot on my iphone so sound is mediocre but gives a sense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iH6wGFmUA

Round town and under 2k its no different from stock, you wouldn't notice it against the background traffic noise, and shifting early keeps you honest.

Stamp on it in 1/2/3 and above 3k it starts to get intersting and above 4 you get that real blat from the exhaust, good re-verb from buildings and amazing through tunnels, car now looks like it sounds basically.  If you have ever heard a 911/boxster/Caymen with a loud pipe and thats the sort of level you are looking at. 

Iphone vid of hindhead tunnel - again sound isnt great, but try with headphones and you get a much better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SjxkbrXrk

I would say overall its less look at me than any F430/458 when the valve opens - if you are familiar with the abrupt change in note and volume, although this set up being non valved is more linear in buildup.

Basically drive like a prat round town and you will get looked at.  Drive it like you would a normal car and you might still get looked at but for all the right lotus reasons.

Even when you do give it some beans the sound is nice i think, not like a saxo with a cannon out the back.

My advice would be to go for the same de cat plus back box option i have, but similar setup can be had from Lotus decat and blue tip back box.

If you are at all worried I would go de cat pipe first as this is cheap and easily swapped, and if its still not enough get the back box too.

I would also say note has definately matured since first install, lovely burble and pop on overrun.  Summer driving with windows down is fine, wind noise is worse than exhaust note so it wont send you deaf.  Even my mum likes it (she hated the Elise Larini I had and any loud noises in general if thats any reference point) "Ooh it really purs now doesnt it" her exact words when reversing off their driveway! 

Russ

fin.

• Like 1