Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2004 Gearknob - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2004 Gearknob

Hi all.

I've just purchased a round 2004 gearknob for my '98 V8 GT. It already has the alloy gearknob on, but I want to replace it with the smaller 2004 one. I have been assured it can be retro fitted, but I don't see any way of getting the old one off. I've heard Lotus just glued the old one on but it seems mighty strong glue. Can anyone out there help please.

James.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Retrofitted a 2004 item to my GT3, you won't believe how much nicer the shift action is just for the sake of an inch or so reduction in height!

I don't think it's glued, just a friction fit, but I don't think you could get the old one off without brute force and risking damage to something else.

You'll need to take the gearstick out (pinch-bolt under the gaiter), stick it in a vice and tap the old knob off pretty firmly. It may get damaged unless you have a soft headed hammer, if it's OK stick it on Ebay and you'll probably get your money back on the new one (I did!)

SJ sportscars have the original little badge that goes on top. Would you believe that was the most frustrating thing to fit? It's not quite as small as the little circular machined hole (well done Lotus), and the sticky is not strong enough! Mine had to be VERY carefully sanded (it's tiny) and held with super glue. It also cost nearly as much as the knob!

PS just noticed we are in the same vicinity, well have to compare cars one day

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

That confirms everything I've been able to find out, and you're SO right about the little badge being too big. It's with my Lotus Guy getting done with other things (check out my whine/singing thread)

James