Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Exige S; 6 days old - broken fuel cap :-( - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New Exige S; 6 days old - broken fuel cap :-(

I'm very pleased to have taken delivery of my new Exige S in Motorsport green last weekend, and have really enjoyed driving it all week.

Unfortunately, I encountered a problem on the way home on Friday.  Spot the problem!

post-15556-0-51963800-1385949155.jpeg

post-15556-0-50270700-1385949327.jpeg

post-15556-0-53702500-1385949336.jpeg

I went to fuel up for the very first time and when I unlocked the fuel cap, the lock barrel came right out.  The fuel cap remained locked inside the car, and as much as I tried, I couldn't get it off (and had an empty tank).  Eventually I decided to call Lotus Assistance, who called out The AA.  After much admiration by the AA man of my new Exige S, using lots of brute-force and a few screwdrivers, he managed to remove the fuel cap.  I was then able to fill my tank up and then the AA man forced the fuel cap back on in a locked position, to allow me to drive home and have enough petrol to take it back to the dealership.

After speaking to the Lotus dealership, they are going to order a replacement fuel cap and hopefully get my current lock barrel refitted inside it.  Apprently this is an uncommon (but not unheard of) issue.  They are hoping to get this fixed by the end of the week. 

I just need to make sure I leave enough petrol in the tank for to drive it back to the dealership!  I'm looking forward to having my Lotus returned back to me in working order.

Anyone else had a similar experience with a Lotus?

Daniel

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Firstly congratulations on the car, looks stunning in MSG but I had a hunch it might (my Exige is the same colour)!

Secondly I've never heard of that fault before, it's very unusual. It's a very commonly used part on countless Elises and Exiges, I never had any issues with mine during over 5 years of ownership. It should be a formality to replace but the dealer needs to match up the lock with your ignition key which might take a bit more time to sort and you might have to have to put up with a seperate key for a while.

Hopefully that's the last issue you have with the car and can just enjoy driving it from here on.

Same thing happened to me. Key was tight in the lock and it came apart from the cap . I put it all back together and oiled up the key and inserted it back in to the cap no problem since.

Andrew

my key is a very tight fit in the lock, it requires a  bit of jiggling to remove the key after replacing the cap - the key came apart once leaving the metal part in the lock when I was in too much of a hurry, fortunately it all clipped back together.

• 3 years later...

It happened to me and another friend with an exige. They replace them with a notably better made item if you get it done under warranty, though weirdly its still not the quality it was on a VX220 made 15 years ago.

Martin S

• Haha 1

On 14/11/2017 at 10:33, MARTIN_S said:

It happened to me and another friend with an exige. They replace them with a notably better made item if you get it done under warranty, though weirdly its still not the quality it was on a VX220 made 15 years ago.

Martin S

Have you considered selling your Exige and buying a VX220? 

The vx is the only other Lotus built product I've owned and have to admit its a bit baffling when so many things in the V6 are worse than in a 15 year old model they produced.

Gradually doing things that will get it to VX standard! Lol

Martin S

I've heard this happen countless times.

On my last V6 it was initially very difficult to get the key in and out (it was effectively a new car due to be run as a demonstrator that I got via rejecting my first V6, so had sub-1000miles on the clock). Some liberal WD-40 spraying sorted that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an observation for anyone considering lubrication of locks on their Exige... (or other lock):

The Lotus Service Notes (Section BT) specifies that you should lubricate the locks with a “Lock Lubricant” - and explicitly states that you should NOT use a silicone-based lubricant or WD40.

For info, WD40 is a solvent - and will effectively displace other lubricants.  It can also cause brass parts (such as lock wafers) to stick/swell and ultimately jamb.  If you can’t get direct access to the lock, the best method of lubricating the lock wafers and barrel is to sparingly apply the correct lubricant to the key blade - then gently and repeatedly insert and withdraw the blade in and out of the lock; when operating smoothly, insert the blade an repeatedly rotate the lock barrel.

If the supply of spares from Lotus is problematic, following the manufacturers advice might be prudent :-)

Futher observation - the OP pictures of the withdrawn lock barrel appears to be missing both the lock wafers/springs (likely “lost” when the barrel was pulled free of the filler cap) and the circlip that actually retains the barrel within the  filler cap.  Without the circlip, inserting the key will release the barrel!

Edited by LotusPilot

• 1 month later...

Lotus owner of a new car since 2 1/2 years:

First year: 2 broken door locks: both door locks, ignition lock, fuel cap lock and both keys had to be replaced ! Lotus can not replace only a cylinder, even for new cars with existing keys and key numbers ! After that: a broken boot lock. 

Second year: fuel cap lock broken. Surprisingly now Lotus was kind enough to replace only the cylinder and fit it to my existing key. But I had to send my car key and the fuel cap to England at own expense and risk (car was still under guarantee). Alternatives: Replace all locks and keys again or get a new fuel cap with another key.

Seriously Lotus ?!

@LotusPilot: Thanks, so we can not use lubricants with or without silicon (WD-40), BUT what is the right lock lubricant for this crap, maybe graphite  ?????   

Edited by ArthouseCompany

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2018 at 21:50, ArthouseCompany said:

Lotus owner of a new car since 2 1/2 years:

First year: 2 broken door locks: both door locks, ignition lock, fuel cap lock and both keys had to be replaced ! Lotus can not replace only a cylinder, even for new cars with existing keys and key numbers ! After that: a broken boot lock. 

Second year: fuel cap lock broken. Surprisingly now Lotus was kind enough to replace only the cylinder and fit it to my existing key. But I had to send my car key and the fuel cap to England at own expense and risk (car was still under guarantee). Alternatives: Replace all locks and keys again or get a new fuel cap with another key.

Seriously Lotus ?!

@LotusPilot: Thanks, so we can not use lubricants with or without silicon (WD-40), BUT what is the right lock lubricant for this crap, maybe graphite  ?????   

Lotus reportedly use an “unspecified” proprietary lock lubricant.

When lubricating locks on my Lotus, I have previously used a “Teflon” (i.e., PTFE) based lubricant - such as Tri-Flow - from a drip bottle.  Used sparingly, it has excellent film, penetration and moisture dispersion properties.

Personally, I’d avoid using an aerosol propellant.

As for graphite, it’s messy and gets everywhere.  Remember, keys come into contact with clothing - like pockets (and for our female readers, their handbag).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just got the same problem. I said few days ago that I never got a problem with the car.... 🤣😜 fortunately I can use the key and I was able to remove the cap. but the lock barrel came right out. Tomorrow is track day, should not be a problem to drive without fuel cap...

do you know if it's possible to buy a fuel cap with a specific key (not the same as ignition key) ?