Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pressure build up in gas tanks. Does your Esprit do this? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pressure build up in gas tanks. Does your Esprit do this?

Techspy

So after my complete engine pull/rebuild/install, I am putting miles on her to break her in. I made my 2nd stop for fuel today and when I opened the gas cap there was a lot of pressure and air (fumes) escaping. I had never experienced that previously. The car is running great and I have had no fuel smell. I have the charcoal canister connected as it should be and replaced the vent hose etc when I had it apart to check the gas tanks conditions. Also, the manifold pressure tube to the canister is T'd into my blow off valve and that is working so I know it is seeing the right pressure.

I think I just figured it out! I thought this thing was a filter of sorts,

mlQMNyB-3a84wm1AvmoKliQ.jpg

It is a check valve isn't it? I bet I have it the wrong way so the canister/vent system is not able to vent the fumes into the manifold.

Does this sound correct?

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes sounds like your check valve isn't working correctly, or is the wrong way around.

I've had brand new check valves like that that didn't work correctly, so test it first.  I also had one that seemed to work correctly, but let a really strange noise through the crank case breather and into the intake assembly.  Was super loud! I replaced it with the old one, and the noise went away.

Some pressure in the tanks is normal of course.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE