Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Successful Boost Controller Install, Anyone? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Successful Boost Controller Install, Anyone?

It sure seems like a stand alone boost controller would go a long way to prevent boost spikes and smooth out the dips in my dyno plot, but I can't find anyone who's sucessfully installed one.

It also seems like it should be fairly straight forward for an experienced tech to do, but what about the ECU? How can it be tricked into thinking it is controlling boost too?

Has anyone here done this? If so, how'd it go and how does it perform?

Many thanks!

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure seems like a stand alone boost controller would go a long way to prevent boost spikes and smooth out the dips in my dyno plot, but I can't find anyone who's sucessfully installed one. 

It also seems like it should be fairly straight forward for an experienced tech to do, but what about the ECU?  How can it be tricked into thinking it is controlling boost too? 

Has anyone here done this?  If so, how'd it go and how does it perform?

Many thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Call Dave @ Austin Imports.He installed a controller on Marc Coplons car.(937)746-8324

Jeff

Luke, do some foot work and find the candidates as far as external boost controllers go. Point me to them and I'll check it out and install one. I'm tired of being at the mercy of the ECU parameters such as temp etc. It won't be hard to install I'm sure.

Ron

Ron,

My research has included a really good article in Sport Compact Car from two years back and the current Euro Tuner magazine. The SCC artice was an actual shoot out where they measure the controller's ability to prevent boost spikes and maintain a level pressure. I believe that the HKS unit did the best, but it may have been the Blitz. The ET article from this month is really just a run down of units on the market.

Here's a link to HKS' unit: http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1085

..and Blitz's: http://www.blitz-na.com/Blitz_Boost_Sbc_id.htm

If you'd like a scan of the SCC artice I can do that for you this weekend.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I installed the SBC-iDII controller in my S4.

I struggled with it for my week/months and in the end went back to ECU boost control.

I left the controller in the car as it is an excellent boost gauge and I have 3 other channels to monitor TPS, MAT, O2 sensors.

If you want a fuller de-brief, email me off-line.

Dermot