Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Plan of Attack - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Plan of Attack

Hi Everyone and a Happy new year to you all.

I have a 1976 503 Elite that I have been wanting to restore for the past ten years, so its about time I started it as I am 62 and don't think I can lay under vehicles for much longer!.

I would love to know from any willing forum member if it is possible to remove the body from the chassis without having to take the engine and transmission out.

I want to restore the vehicle in two phases, mechanical and bodywork, hence the reason for the question

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in eager anticipation

Regards

Ray

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Ray. :welcome:

Best of luck with the restoration. People will answer once the UK gets out of bed.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

Any other questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi Ray,

Welcome to our world

Yes you can remove the body from the chassis with the engine and gearbox in place - just - the body may catch on the cam covers but a bit of jiggling (the car body, not you) gets it clear. Best to have a big son with you when you do it. 

I did it this way - totally stripped the body including the engine bay first to reduce the lift weight

Hope you've got lots of room and an understanding wife

Go for it

Brian

ps I'm 62 too - getting down is OK - getting up............

• Like 1

Hi Lotuspoint,Iain,Michael and Brian.

Many thanks for such early responses.

I feel slightly overwhelmed and enthused to get the resto started!

Lotuspoint - I have obtained a manual and will start to read it carefully

Iain - The condition is poor, but it has been dry stored for the past ten years I have owned it. And yes, I will post pics as I progress

Michael - Thanks for your advice. I will make myself known to others as soon as I have accomplished the navigation of the forum

Brian - Thanks for the tip. I have been deliberating for ages on which way to do it. I think I will go for body off/engine in.

I promised myself that I would not start work on the car until I was fully kitted out and had somewhere comfortable to work.

So in the past 10 years I have built a timber framed kingspan insulated curved roof double garage 6m x 6m, restocked my old snap on tool kit, Built benches, engine stand, dollys for the chassis and my most recent build is a media blasting cabinet to clean all the bits.

So.......... THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOW FOR ME NOT TO GET STARTED.!!

Gotta finish the project before the arthritis finishes me!

Thanks Guys and I will post my progress.

Kind regards

Ray

• Like 1

I unbolted the engine mounts and tranny mount and lifted the exhaust side of the engine with an engine hoist to tip it a little.  I only  tipped the engine maybe 15 degrees, but this allowed the body to be lifted straight up .

If I did it again I would use straps on the body and chain hoists from the roof timbers.

Look forward to the restoration!

I promised myself that I would not start work on the car until I was fully kitted out and had somewhere comfortable to work.

So in the past 10 years I have built a timber framed kingspan insulated curved roof double garage 6m x 6m, restocked my old snap on tool kit, Built benches, engine stand, dollys for the chassis and my most recent build is a media blasting cabinet to clean all the bits.

So.......... THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOW FOR ME NOT TO GET STARTED.!!

Welcome Ray.... I know what you mean. I have been itching to get back on a car restoration after years of not having the space or the time or the money but have now acheived all 3 at the same time and bit the bullet and brought one of these in november. There has been no better motivation in finally clearing out the garage and finishing all the jobs I have started before I get stuck in. 

The last part of my "clearing out garage" chinese puzzle completes this week end when I finish making arms for my 'deco sofa project.

Best of luck and enjoy it. most of all keep us posted. there is nothing better for motivation than seeing progress on other projects.