Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 11 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

I took the Elite out very early this morning for a longer run, went through all the gears and put my foot down. Engine was a bit lumpy at first but once upto temperature it started to sing.The good news is that the airshocks seem to be able to cope, I think cos' it's such a light car I can get away with them. The ride is not too bad at all, I mean I haven't pushed it yet but the ride is firm enough but very comfortable. It's now at a stage where it needs a good run to shake off all the cobwebs and get all the systems going. I was absolutely loving it, sun was out engine roaring like a beast from another world, those cherry bombs are loud! I felt a bit like the pied piper as an M3 started to follow me and slowed to get a better look, this car is not for the timid and no shriking violet, something I'll have to get used to!

Just been having ago at sewing and to my utter amazement I'm finding it quite straightforward. Check this out, no word of a lie, these are only my second attempt at straight lines and my first ever curved line. What do you reckon, not bad is it, I'm over the moon with them!

20140907_122648_zps0564b420.jpg

20140907_122448_zps8fe9e3ef.jpg

20140907_122434_zps5e8d4a53.jpg

It is really satisfying to get this far however I'm not our of the woods yet, still need to get it through the MOT, I have ywo months before the next big show so hopefully if all goes well next summer will see this on the show circuit. Cheers, Charlie ;-)

Like a weight lifted. Bloody rear indicators decided to play games, anyway a quick tighten down on the earth and we were back in the game. A few deep breath moments when they found a few under tightened nuts around the air suspension, of which we proceeded to tighten and hey presto one MOT. Now the testing really starts, but I think we can say she's now street legal and ready to dance, com'ooon!!

Well done Charlie!

My S2 failed her MOT on perished rubber exhaust hanger, servo hose, ball joint boots and tyre valves.....going back in next week for a free re-test with new rubbers.....ooh err!!

• Like 2

So I've been out in a very early run this morning and immediately she was running lumpy as hell. So I'm thinking 'wtf?'. So get her back into the pits and check everything once more, seems that after all the tugging and pulling after the mot two ht leads had popped off! Put those back on and everything falls into place. It's pulling through all the gears but struggles at times to go into first and it absolutely hates reverse gear, pops straight out, I have to hold the gear knob inplace to get it to work, thats not right. Also the brake pedal is very low, brakes are sharp but the pedal is low, what can I do? I'll post this in the tech bit of the forum. Have to say though what a buzz, the cherry bombs are raucous, loud, but I was loving it. It's actually quite quick, goes well. Needs a catch tank and I think new ht leads and plugs will go in. All in all first tests are very promising.

Hi Charlie,

My gearbox was like that - reverse jumped out as soon as you let the clutch out a bit and you had to hold it in place while reversing.

Mine was also very bad for jumping out of second gear, and not going into second gear very well on downshifts. I don't think it was the whole problem, or even half the problem on my gearbox, but there is a plastic fitting inside the gear lever that engages the gearbox. On mine this was broken and no doubt contributed to the large amount of free play on the gearstick. You might be lucky and this improves the selection.

I only found this was broken after removing the engine and box, so can't tell you whether it would have solved the problem. The guy that bought it came from France to collect it(!)

Note of caution - if you want to take the lever off to look at this - read the manual and make sure you engage 2nd gear (or whatever gear it says in the manual) before you remove it - otherwise it goes horribly wrong and you can't get it back together without a gearbox rebuild.

Mat.

Charlie - there are variable length girling actuating rods on ebay that I have been looking at.

A non-TLF Elite owner commented to me that he had been playing with the length of the actuating rod and felt he had improved things.

If you want to be the Guinea Pig on the adjustable length rod - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be keen to hear how you go?

note: I have no idea if these are suitable - the chap I spoke to made his own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girling-Master-cylinder-adjustable-push-rods-NEW-Kit-car-Rally-Custom-Hot-rod-/221529018812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33942891bc

edit: looking at it again, I'm not sure this is useable on our cars. I would need to look at how the actuator on our cars presses against the end of the master cylinder, and what the actuator actually looks like and if it is replaceable.

thoughts?

Yeah it's not as good as it shoukd be. Regarding that plastic basket that goes onto the bottom of the gear stick, I bought one fron SJS after someone else had mentioned using one, it broke while trying to fit it, wasn't even close to fitting. However doesn't look difficult yo reproduce my own version in plastic to fit properly, might give that a go, one I've fixed my other more important issues, I.e. brakes.

Just found a place selling stock at 3.95 a meter, so have purchased 25 odd meters to do the interior. Here's a sneak preview if the materials I'm using for a fairly original looking interior, my gammet of colour are muted (lawrence lewelin bowen, moment), love the original seats on this car cos' imho the tombstone headrests are just 70's retro magic! [br][br]20140921_084755_zpsb6503122.jpg[br][br][br]20140921_084544_zps58f007af.jpg[br][br]20140921_084521_zps8cc7abd4.jpg

Reverse was fine anyway, just a hell of a lot of slop in the gearstick, kind of knew it'd be some kind of plastic bush at the base of the gearstick, (the Rover LT77 box is the same, plastic bush breaks up), removed the stick and found the bush worn away, ordered a new one, fitted fine and it tightened the gears up. 

Only problem with my box is sticky selecting 3rd, you need to kind of move it across slightly into the detent for 5th/reverse, apart from that it works great. 

Just refurbed the wheel hub nut caps, someone had sprayed painted them in silver and that would not go with my new rims. I could see that they were made of aluminium, so I stripped them, hand polished them and found new cap emblems, quite happy with them now, will install them tomorrow. Should also see the car hit the road for some proper testing as it is now fully road legal.

20140923_182201_zpsf99c6278.jpg

20140926_203140_zps011b43fd.jpg

20140926_203103_zps8accd11a.jpg

Edited by CharlieCroker

20140927_120349_zps428fbe1d.jpg

20140927_113601_zpscd2418af.jpg

20140927_113348_zps7771b190.jpg

No major updates today, however I have spent this morning tidying the under bonnet area. Bought some heat resistant material and proceeded to cut it to shape. I previously removed the old foam that was in place as it was extremely crusty and crumbling and was to be fair, knackered. Looks a hell of a lot better now. She's now totally road legal so after lunch I will take her out, see if she wants to play!