Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
removing the head and cam towers - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

removing the head and cam towers

thanks very much for the pump dave, troy can fit it to the car when he has time and get it running to test it.

he said mine had failed so he needs to replace it.

at least with the engine sorted i can get on with all the other things i wanted to do as time aloows when it gets back here.

my gearknob bits are ready and im sourcing the wood part for it then i can turn that down and fit it to the car. just the pedals to do then.

be nice to do something other than sit in the house all day!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonderd how long it would take to start talking about knobs

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

no problem Si, glad i can help :welcome:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

i polished my knob (and re-finished it)... and had to get a stick reduction... it was too long.... lol... my goodness... i think that was certainly bordering on "crossing the line"

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

the thread will stay alive as i have to do the interior yet!!

Hows the car, she running like a dream? Now we want regular updates on the Zondaesque interior from you.

Alex

the thread will stay alive as i have to do the interior yet!!

D@mn, you mean they forgot something??!! :P:P;)

Maybe we should just rename this the "BigSi's Esprit thread" so you always have a place to post updates on what is now the forum's most notable Esprit! (especially now that removing the head and cam towers is ancient history! :unsure: )

Enjoy, Si!

Eric

:lol:

• 1 month later...

well this hasnt been updated for a while because well it didnt need t be, i start an interior thread but prehaps having that merged with this one and renaming this the bigsi's esprit thread would be good.

well heres an update:

both inner sill formers have been made from aluminium, they are shaped and ready for sanding, it will be a while before they are ready for carbon moulding so in the meantime i having some pure carbon scanned in at its highest resolution and it will then be transferred to a high grade vynil and then wrapped over the aluminium s i get a feel of what it will look like, removal will be easy as all it will need is a hairdryer and a special chemical, lift the one edge pour the fluid behind it and the adhesive releases and it comes away clean. it can then go for carbon moulding along with the other bits when the time comes. this wnt be until the new year but in the meantime i am learning about trimming and double baseball stitching leather and whats needed etc, i retrimmed my old fairlady so i may just do the esprit myself also. if i can find a picture of the fairlady trimming i will put it up for y ou to see.

keep tuned.

simon

ps: my 'o' on my keyboard randomly doesnt type so if theres a single wrd with no 'o' thats why

• 2 months later...

well its been a while since i added to this thread but i am still at it!

today i will be re-finishing the front and rear bumpers, the fornt bumper has a very bad craze on the top center, probably due to a little knock in its life, i have to take this back and fill prime then i will rub back the whole front bumper and re paint it with a nice satin black then colour sand it.

the rear bumper will also come off and i will rub it back, clean and de-nib it then re paint in satin black and colour sand that also.

above the rear passenger wheel arch is some crazing so i will also take that back plastic prime and rub back then re paint and colour sand.

all this is to get the car ready for the factory, as she has to look her best, also to do are the wheel centre caps to repaint, and fit new black lotus badges on, then compound and polish the wholecar.

the inner sills are being covered this week in a carbon wrap for now.

more to follow with pics.

simon

well to aid in the work i have taken the front bumper off completely it was easy enough to do i had to undo the lifting arm for the pods and inside there are two holes for undoing the internal bolts 13mm took them off, unbolted the earth wires from the backs of the lights and seperated the push connectors and its off!!

DSCN5683.jpg

DSCN5687.jpg

DSCN5682.jpg

so now i can paint that and the rear in peace around the back of the house today.

the rear wing is in final primer drying at the moment and i just have to wet that back again and its ready for paint so that will be finished today and colour sanded and compounded tomorrow.

same with the bumpers.

pics to follow later.

right the wing has had its first dust coats, many thanks to troy for the advice :thumbsup: i used several primers to do this, all of them from tetosyl pro paints.

first a plasic-primer, this isnt your ordinary primer, its clear with a fine metallic silver colour to it, only two fine coats of this needed by the way, then a dust coat of hi build primer followed by a good first layer, when dried i dusted with a black then wet sanded it back so i could see the hig low spots, when i got where i wanted i cleaned it all off, then when dry i re-coated with hi build again let dry dusted and wet sanded again, i did this 4 times.

DSCN5679.jpg

DSCN5689.jpg

when this was dry i then applied the first dust coat of white over primer, let it dry then a full coat over the top, when dry i sanded it back and applied another coat, this was enough then, so i sanded it back and then began the first dust of red paint.

DSCN5691.jpg

DSCN5693.jpg

that is drying now so more as i continue.

Edited by bigsi

The colour was custom matched by a auto paints shop not far from my house.... took the light pod when we were doing the restoration project of the car and they cut the paint back and matched the paint from there.....

Not a bad match actually once its all dried and buffed up......

Simon

Chunky Lover

well the front bumper is finishedand drying overnight in the conservatory where its a nice temp all night.

heres the finished product, just the rear bumper to take off and paint next and the wheel centre caps.

DSCN5697.jpg

the rear panels are now done and drying over night before i colour sand then compound and polish them up

Edited by bigsi

heres the finished item, i have jsut spent all day on this, colour sanding it back, then g3 and g10 compounds, i then spent an hour polishing it bit by bit and then with the crappy random orbit polisher i have got. but all the hard work paid off and its come up ok, still needs some work in places but its better than it was.

DSCN5719.jpg

Cheers Simon, looks great. Wish I had the courage to sand my baby down and put some paint back on it! I've got me SE sills waiting to be fitted onto mine but sit in the boxes they arrived in until I can rummage up the cash to put 'er back in the body shop for fitting and paint. The bumpers look fantastic! Are you feeling better? Don't be overdoing it again! Keep up the pictures!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm