Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Who has the highest mileage V8 Esprit? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Who has the highest mileage V8 Esprit?

UKbondraider

Thought I would ask this question as it always puzzles me why powerful engines cannot last as long as normal engines.

We see every day Fords, BMWs, Mercs etc all have mileages in excess of 100K and yet a car like a V8 Esprit is probably considered on its last legs by 40K miles.

OK so the reason why we probably do not see high mileage Ferraris, Lambos, V8 Esprits etc is likely due to the petrol costs in running these cars meaning owners will tend to only drive them on special occasions or at weekends.

Also I understand that the V8's etc have more complex technology and engineering in them compared to normal car engines but does anyone know whether a V8 engine in an Esprit could easily go to 150K miles without any problems providing petrol costs etc wasnt an issue.

I just find it difficult to comprehend why we spend so much money on these 'supercars' only to be told to expect them to last only 40-50K miles.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on how you drive and look after it. The Lotus 918 V8 unit was designed for 'high performance' but is still essentially an internal combustion engine with the addition of two turbo's and electronic management system. It does require careful maintenance at more frequent intervals compared with a saloon car. Theres no reason why a V8 shouldnt do in excess of 100,000 miles if it's looked after properly. I have read of examples where a V8 has exceeded 80,000 miles and was still going strong.

There's no reason why a V8 can't last those distances. I know Rob E's had 80k when he sold it and mine's past its 50th birthday.

As I recall it was in the Lotus design remit for the 918 that it was expected to last 100k+.

I think most of problems comes from maintenance. A high performance engine requires much more thorough servicing so you've got to expect that the maintainence costs will be high.

A lot of people see a V8 for 18k, think whoopee but suddenly get cold feet when the bills for 1000s start coming in on a regular basis, and give up on the maintenance schedule until the whole thing goes bang :blink:

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Not a V8 but my SE is now over 135,000 miles.

PO did an engine rebuild around 3000 miles ago as she was pretty tired, but I did an average of 18k a year for 7 years in her when she ws first mine.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Another high mileage SE here... 108,000 miles (rebuild at 75,000).

I am not a V8 owner but I was interested to hear Brain Angus at a forum during the factory visit talk about the V8 engine. He said that it was a reliable engine if it is kept stock and people don't try to extract more power out of it unless they also upgrade things like oil coolers etc. There are probably V8 owners who will remember more than I do of what he said but the overall impression was that the engine should last a long time as long as it is looked after and people don't chip the cars without making other alterations as well.

banner-1.jpg

I don't think people who own Esprit, Ferraris, Lambos, and other exotics drive very little because of petrol cost (I am sure it has nothing to do with petrol cost)

**if these people are concern about petrol cost, they will buy TOYOTA Hybrid cars instead.

I think they just want to keep low mileages to help to keep the resell value of the vehicles.

it is very hard to sell a car with over 80,000miles (or 100,000km) in history.

because the next owner would think that he has only another 50,000km to enjoy the car before the engine really quits..and then they have to spend an unknown amount of money to keep an old car running (with basically 70% new parts)

to me, owning the Esprit now is for me (myself) to enjoy because I have spend the money, and will spend some money to keep it for awhile....

so I personally don't care what the next owner may think. My intension now is to drive the Esprit to work and meet clients every day.

when it's time to resell the car, I may (for the worst) put in a "newer engine" first.

OK so the reason why we probably do not see high mileage Ferraris, Lambos, V8 Esprits etc is likely due to the petrol costs in running these cars meaning owners will tend to only drive them on special occasions or at weekends.

Not really, no. If you worry about getting 15 mpg then you can't afford a Ferrari, Lambo, V8 Esprit etc.

Right then, said Fred.

I imagine most people who own an V8 Esprit have other vehicles they use on a day to day basis, and only drive their cars on special occasions (like to church on sundays) which is what would keep the milages these cars do relitively low (compared to usual daily driven stuff) :o

My Turbo Esprit is driven an average of 2,000 kms a year due to me being unable to get my kids/ dog/ racing car parts/ general crap into its compact interior.

I would imagine a larger displacement V8 is capable of lasting longer than its smaller 4 cylinder brother, due to the fact its higher torque output at lower rpms means it doesnt haved to be reved as much as the 4 to get the car moving at a reasonable rate (enabling higher gears to be used sooner). Howerver driven hard continuously , would jepardise even a V8s lifespan . :o

Higher RPM= higher heat and friction in an engine which = more wear = less time between rebuilds. ;)

My LT-1 engined Buick has 270,000 Kms on it (original motor no rebuild) because it spends most of its time at around 1,500 rpm. These usually engines last at least till 500,000 kms before a rebuild is required. :o

However my Turbo Esprit has spent most of its 57,000 kms at 7000 rpm which is why its 910 has been rebuilt twice already :P

The light that burns twice as light only burns half as long :o

SUNP0003-1.jpg