Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turns but wont start S3 turbo - Fuel System/Carbs - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Turns but wont start S3 turbo

GOHER007

After an eight month lull and after a brutal winter I tried starting her up. I did add some fuel after the first (stupid ) attempt and than possibly flooded the carbs. Heartbroken as I am but thinking forward could I have damaged or clogged the fuel pump and the fuel filter by sucking in all the  muck left behind by the evaporated fuel over the winter.

Ladies and Gents, is there a way I can check the flow of fuel. I did try to take the line of the regulator on the other side of the coil compartment but in vain, its like welded on there. I will try to start her up again in a few hours again. As I push the fuel peddle down the turning engine changes its noise, and once or twice she nearly hiccupped and started.

Any suggestions on the fuel pump and where best to source it would be super and also any motivation to get under the side and change the units myself would also be appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the lead from the coil to the dizzy, my car was doing the same and the ht lead had come loose.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If you've flooded the plugs then take them out and let them dry for a few hours in the open atmosphere.

One of the simplest diagnostics is, remove on spark plug, is it wet from fuel, does the fuel smell OK? Wet plug, then you are probably OK with the fuel side. With the plug lead connected, lay the plug on the engine top (make sure you don't have lots of fuel / fuel vapour hanging around), turn the car over and watch the plug, did it spark well?

Another test is EasyStart or similar, fire that into the airbox/ inlet plenum, if the car fires when turned over then you can be reasonably sure the ignition side is OK.

If you're still worried about the fuel pump (if there's no fuel getting to the cylinders), take a pipe off one of the carbs, catch the fuel in a suitable container, turn the ignition to see that there is a fair fuel flow. 

Don't forget the fuel pump inhibit crash switch....on mine it sits on the RH rear wheel arch. It has a red button sticking out the top...if it's sticking out a long way, then it's activated and the fuel pump won't run. Push the red pip back in and the pump should work. It's also possible to dislodge the connector at the bottomn of the switch...then all looks OK but the pump is still OFF. Check that the connector is pushed fully home, too. What else.....the 3 way connector in the lead from the distributor to the ignition system...this can get corroded and not make contact. Does sound as if the engine is flooded.....easy cure for that is to apply ful throttle and crank the engine until it starts...being ready to close the throttle when it does. Andy's idea of checking the fuel flow is a good one, too....any spare plug can be used to check for sparks in the manner Andy suggests. Nice fat spark = no problems there!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all, I did check for lead contact for all five, but I will check for the spark next and quickstart spray. The fuel pump does comes on upon turning ignition. soon as my fracture heals I will report on further progress. appears to be a fuel and spark issue. Thank you all

My s3 turbo was all running fine as i shut the garage door (dont think that caused it) the engine just

stopped dead no mis fire just a sudden stop the luminition had just failed capput had to change it.