Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hard top or soft top? - Elise / Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hard top or soft top?

lowndsy

Guys,

Just been spending my spare time over the last few days really looking into getting an elise!

Quick question, hard top or soft top? Does anyone have any pros and cons for each? Also if you buy a hard top can you later buy a soft top pack to use on a hard top? If so how much are they and where can you get them from?

Cheers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Elise are you looking at Conner? The S1 soft-top is perhaps 4-5 mins to fit compared to 1-2 mins for the later cars, although it's not a big chore. The owners manual does state that it's a 'get me home' affair though and they're prone to leak on the earlier cars, not so much on the later cars and you'll get one with the car (unless you get a new Club Racer in which case it's an option (which everyone ticks!)). 

I've got a hardtop and only used it once, but then I've only had the car for a month. I've been told and will agree that the hardtop is very usable and transforms the car into a coupe from a roadster, perfect for winter.

You can get both from Lotus, and there are aftermarket suppliers for both too inc carbon options etc. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Bibs,

I'm looking at the S2s around £18-20k mark so if you see any good ones then link me up! Haha

Basically the problem is I want a hard top because personally I think they look better with the proper roof then just the soft top roof however I want to use it as a convertible but the problem is the weather, last thing I want is to go out on a drive and mid drive it pisses it down and I have no roof with me so I want to buy a soft top to take out on longer drives just incase it does rain

I'll be doing lots of 250mile trips from Grimsby to Bristol to visit my dad so it'll be nice I have the roof down but have a soft top stores somewhere in case of emergencies

Get what I mean?

It'll come with a soft top mate, they all do. They fit in the boot (or indeed behind the seats) so it'll live in the car :)

I'll keep an ear to the ground for you! 

Shit the bed! Yeah I definitely want a hard top included!

I'm struggling to find any decent ones around, they seem to be so rare! Would rather buy from a dealer then private too, any ideas?

Nice to get a warranty with a sale from a dealer but in truth they're pretty reliable cars you'll be looking at mate. Just buy the one that takes your fancy, as you said you'll not be cherry picking as they're aren't that many for sale.

Keep an eye on our classifieds too - http://www.lotusforsale.com/ad-category/cars/elise/

Yeah that's a good point, definitely want a bright colour haha found a 10plate bright yellow one for £25k on pistonheads, looks amazing but 2 hours away so gotta plan ahead to get down and have a test drive

Which Elise are you looking at Conner? The S1 soft-top is perhaps 4-5 mins to fit

I used to fit my S1 soft top in just over a minute. I had a little mark on it where to centre it to stop leaks, I've never understood how you could take 5 mins to fit it.

Bibs,

So all hard tops also come with a soft top stored in the boot?

That's awesome if they do!

Conor, are you thinking of an Elise or an Exige when you say hardtop? The Exige is sold as a hard top and doesn't come with a soft top whereas the Elise is sold as a soft top and you can buy a hardtop as an extra.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE