Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 38 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah add it to the list. I've found most of it but if you don't have anything the tool roll and the box spanner + tommy bar will probably be the hardest bits to find. The pliers are easy there're some on eBay now.

Lotus Bits is probably the best bet for the jack, handle, wheel brace and jack bag. The jack has a right angled plate on the top of it.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Don't bank on it!! The jack is pretty rare, particularly if you want it with all the other bits.

The spanners are not snail brand they're TW Superslim...

ig9b0k.jpg

2s6slrt.jpg

Yes but I think the spanners are the wrong sizes and a good one will cost you £200!! The tool roll is also wrong and I think the screw driver is shorter. Okay this is getting anal now but I want to put mine back to how it left the factory and finding this stuff is part of the fun for me. I spent 2 years looking for my car in the first place :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201449934498?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LotusBits will also relieve you of £200+VAT for one.

A toolkit for my e-type is £1,000 and a jack is another £1,000. Jon reckoned a toolkit for his Ferrari was £2,000 to £3,000 so actually it's quite cheap really!

Like I always say... playing classic cars is more expensive than a very bad cocaine habit :)

These are the pliers... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-TW-Crossover-Pliers-6-Toolkit-item-Lotus-Sunbeam-Alpine-Tiger-Etc-/161863166653?hash=item25afcbeabd:g:RAcAAOSwo0JWJTOs

Edited by Paul Coleman

image.thumb.jpg.7e973585c687bf6bd0063b68Found this, tool roll appears to have four pockets?

You could sell your etype and spend all the cash on the Esprit???

im sure I could easily sink £50k into an Esprit without even breaking a sweat!

No, it has 5 pockets because the pliers take up 2, even though you can't see it in the picture above.

I would be more likely to sell the Esprit and spend the money towards having my e-type restored professionally. However, a professional restoration on an e-type would be £100,000+

Those who have restored Esprits have spent in excess of £60,000 on them. And have then taken a large hit when they subsequently sold them.

Etypes are almost vintage cars now, wonder if they will reach a point where they dont increase in valve and the Esprit S1 starts to catch up because everyone wants one?

No brainer, sell Etype and spend money on full engine rebuild with more HP?

Edited by Lotusfab

Not a chance. If my e-type were finished (needs new floors, boot and bonnet) and both the e-type and Esprit were parked in the garage next to each other I'd walk past the Esprit 99 times out of 100 to get into the e-type... absolutely no contest. For my money, the e-type is the most beautiful car ever produced, nothing has ever come close.

I agree with you Paul. Esprit's are fun and I love it, but the e-type is stunning. I was shopping for an E project and somehow ended up with an Esprit.

I also covet the 356's.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these 60's cars in the decades to come. It's interesting to see how the early rolls royce's (etc) have gone nowhere in price over the last ten - fifteen years. Unfortunately as the enthusiasts get too old to maintain / pass on, the market slowly diminishes. As does the price. Anyway that's a while away yet!

Edited by Rolls

Actually I find myself out of necessity having to agree, now Paul When can I buy your Burroughs gauge and the tool kit? ?????

Ps. Please could you throw the Esprit S1 in too??????

Edited by Lotusfab

The superslim spanners appear to be different to other lotus tool kits? Are these definitely the correct spanners for an S2 and if they are, what are the correct sizes? 

I haven't been able to find a single person who still has an original S1 toolkit! I have the roll and the previous owner has found most of the tools which hopefully he will send.

As far as I can make out the spanners were 19/17mm and 13/10mm with possibly a smaller one which may have been 4/2BA although I can't think of anything that would fit?