Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 18 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

post-17315-0-94049900-1433111137.jpg you can see here the seatbelt bolt is close. Can used smaller shims but the the seatbelt end will be obstructed? Can anyone with an S2 shed any light on this? Thanks. Maybe the seatbelt end is different to the original.

Am hoping someone reading this has two brand new original seat belt stalks and a box of engine strap hooks?

Have solved the problem by using different shims. Today fitted and repaired the side sills and cant rails. Just the sun visor trim left.

Need a few answers as stuck again, really wish I had taken this car apart it would have been much easier to put it back together!

1. Does anyone have a picture of the seatbelt buckle that fits into the stalk? I believe they were made by Kangol and were the same design as used on a TR7?

2. What is the length of the original stalk?

3. What size, length and thread are the bolts that go through the seat rails?

Thanks all.

I don't have the dimensions but I have a 1977 Esprit S1 and a 1978 TR8 pre-production coupe in the garage. Seat belts look identical and the tab on the drivers side of both has the code: 2 62477. I am on my mobile right now but can post or pm photos later if it helps.

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

I used to have a convertible TR7 in the 80s. I remember the press button on the side. So I googled the TR7 and they looked the same but can't see the same from the top. I believe the stalks were made by Kangol and many cars used them but they are different lengths. A side on picture and length from top to bolt end would be a great help. Thanks.

Had a chat with Steve Fulcher about the belt end and hanbrake cable clearance. He said this was a Lotus mistake and that's how they were. I'm finding a lot of of things like that on this car including the bonnet!

Car Radio.

My man has done a stunning job and the original Philips radio is repaired and serviced, all the presets working. It has four speaker outlets but I believe the s1 only used 2 channels.

The speakers are 4 ohm, 5 Watts each. They should be oval and fit in the top right of the door card with a metal grill infront, but behind the green cloth.post-17315-0-30623500-1433228731.jpg

Sound deadening all cut and in just need to glue. Parts manual indicates sound deadening on bulkhead as well as the matting so have adopted this approach.post-17315-0-56853400-1433333976.jpgpost-17315-0-90790100-1433334021.jpg

Now have to finish the fuel vent system and glue the bulkhead carpet in! The two floor pieces aren't glued, the front ones are held by the carpet clips and the rear by the seat rails.

Hi Vin, fuel vent system is complete apart from the vent pipe ends. Needed to see the bulkhead carpet first. The carpet is glued over the pipes. Operating without a vent system would not be good. The pipe is hidden when glued as can be seen here. Vent pipe exits under car.post-17315-0-81516300-1433335342.jpgpost-17315-0-80264000-1433335365.jpgjust the pipe visible on the right, gluing it now!

They are covered up, think there are some earlier on here. Looked into this in great detail. Rollover valves are not required because if the car inverts the end of the vent pipe would be higher that the fuel tank. Just have to get the pipe arrangement correct.

Actually have managed to pull it out a bit, here u go.post-17315-0-56163900-1433336111.jpg

Thanks Fabian,

Is this the only T piece used in the setup?

Does the straight part of the T connector connect to the other filler neck?  I believe the bottom part of the T-Piece is just a pipe that vents out at the bottom of the car, is this correct?

Vin Taylor

any chance you have a pic of the vent pipe exiting the bottom of the car?

Also does the fuel tank have a vent pipe too?  Mine is a different fuel pump from the SU Pumps and doesn't have a breather outlet 

Vin Taylor

The fuel tank breaths through these vent pipes from the filler neck. There's no vent on the tanks. The SU pump has a breather pipe too. Can't get under there at the moment.

Vin, are your engine cover straps intact? If so how long are the straps when not extended? Are the side straps the same length as the front ones? Cheers.

I "think" they are screw/pop rivet holes to secure the metal box section upright in place inside the pillar before attaching the nuts to the bolt threads on the hinge mounts. Although, that could be tosh and if so I expect someone to correct me!

That's correct there are 2 long self tappers which hold the metal upright. However, on my car they're mounted in-line vertically not horizontally but my car is very early so it mayhave changed.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire