Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 20 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

The Kangols I got are second hand. Lots of cars used Kangols, but the lengths vary. You can buy the PRESS stickers easily on ebay. There are also companies out there who will replace the webbing and service the other bits, for a price of course!

Vin - breather pipe 9 mm external 5 mm internal as best as I can measure, came from s and j can't remember how many meters?

The nuts that fit the seat rail are as I suspected 5/16 UNF.

Underlay finished. Started again on center tunnel with 1/4 inch sound insulation. The bottom bits are not glued. The rear held by the seat rails and the front by carpet clips with stainless screws. Have stripped the door cards back and started again, just not good enough before. Am also stripping the bulkhead again with bits to take to Steve Fulcher.

It's damaged and needs repairs. Orange carpet Steve supplied will cut from his pattern. He now has my seats and dash and soon will have all the other bits, thus could take some time! Still rather get it right.

Have tested the engine about a year ago. Built a test set up and ran it on chasis. Gears and clutch all good as done by previous owner. The engine has had a full rebuild. Water pump leaked which had a new bearing, so threw it away and put a new one. May rebuild the engine again myself next year depending on how it performs.post-17315-0-82047500-1434452477.jpgpost-17315-0-98845300-1434452503.jpgpost-17315-0-49577100-1434452523.jpgpost-17315-0-77782300-1434452547.jpg

post-17315-0-90816300-1434452733.jpgpost-17315-0-58942500-1434452761.jpgpost-17315-0-46921400-1434452783.jpg

To get the tailgate to latch you need a lot of shims!!!!

Well a disappointing effort at using Butyl tape to install the door glass. Although it is fixed I'm not happy with the finish and so have to take it apart and start again. This time I will try INDASA windscreen sealant with spacers to hole the window in position.

How to fix window in front doors.

1st don't take it out unless you really have to! The original seal is not available. I tried two methods, using Butyl tape is a bad idea! It's in now and a reasonable finish.

This is how I did mine.

Firstly screw a piece of wood to the lower frame fixings with the glass in the frame. If you don't do this the window frame will not be square.

Mask the front edge of the window all the way round.

Make up tiny rubber spacers to hold the window, all the way round, in the center of the frame.

Seal the gap with black windscreen sealant and use a razor blade to smooth the edge.

Leave to go off and clean up.post-17315-0-95482700-1434482859.jpg the wood in the picture is screwed on. Just need to clean it up tomorrow.

All I need to do now is speed up! At one piece of glass a day this project is Not moving forward very quickly!

Well attempt three! The INDASA sealant used is a non hardening flexible sealant! Always read the tube. Have to take it all apart and start again with new sealant! This sort of sealant is useless on these frames where they flex so much, it's also very messy!

Can anyone recommend a semi hard sealant? Don't fancy attempt four, plus I still have to do the other one and clean all the mess of this one! Thinking of using Sikaflex. At least the method works and I now have some practice.

Think I may have to watch the bond movie!

I used Tigerseal from the local car parts shop to reseal/bond the boot window frame on my Scenic.

Still spot on afte 2 years hard labour

Thanks, was looking at that. Need to build some motivation before trying again!

My hunt for the engine cover hooks has become disappointing - there ain't any! They were made by Pirelli- probably as webbing hooks for furniture? I had one and it's gone missing in my endless tidyups, so can't even make some more! If any one knows of any?

How does this fit together? Slightly bespoke, to say the least. Hoping someone else has got this or will have to design it myself!post-17315-0-12932700-1434547600.jpgpost-17315-0-84772300-1434547630.jpg starting to think this cars some sort of test and came from another planet! When assembled it will probably fly!

My hunt for the engine cover hooks has become disappointing - there ain't any! They were made by Pirelli- probably as webbing hooks for furniture? I had one and it's gone missing in my endless tidyups, so can't even make some more! If any one knows of any?

Have you tried Lotus Bits? They have a cardboard box there labelled 'Rocking Horse Shit' ask them to look in it.

As I said, it took me 2 years to find a set :mellow:

I remember when SJ were selling them for £7/each. Can't work out why I didn't buy some!!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Yep had Brett and Mark at Lotus bits searching every box and car in the place None! None at PNM, none at S and J! They were made by Pirelli. Steves not remaufacturing any time soon and I've lost the one I had. I hope someone reading this has four they kept for spares? Believe Pirelli must have made them for webbing clips? Someone said they saw something similar on Ski boots. Will have to make something to do the job if all else fails. No Mirror, no straps. Still I have the Kangols and a company to re web them in Bond light grey.

PU18 may be another option as a flexible adhesive?  I've used it for bonding metal to glass in other applications.  iI find it easier to use than Sikaflex which is just so sticky!

Yep had Brett and Mark at Lotus bits searching every box and car in the place None! None at PNM, none at S and J! They were made by Pirelli. Steves not remaufacturing any time soon and I've lost the one I had. I hope someone reading this has four they kept for spares? Believe Pirelli must have made them for webbing clips? Someone said they saw something similar on Ski boots. Will have to make something to do the job if all else fails. No Mirror, no straps. Still I have the Kangols and a company to re web them in Bond light grey.

Yeah I've seen the ski boot ones and the Jet Ski ones and they're nothing like them. I paid over £80 for a set of 5 or 6!! It wasn't cheap but after looking all over the world (literally) for 2 years there wasn't a lot of choice. I'm keeping the two spares I have in case I ever lose one. Keep on to Lotus Bits and some may turn up in the future.

By mirror I assume you're not trying to find an original are you? That would be rarer than the proverbial - I've never seen one for sale - ever. You can always tell an original mirror from a repro because the original has a rubber gasket underneath the mounting bracket.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

There's a problem when trying to keep Esprits original. They are so old most of the original bits and the trim are rotten. For a car to be in good condition most things have to be replaced and the engine rebuilt. A lot of cars were so heavily modified the body shell is mostly new. On some I've seen the engine bay and fiberglass were cut to pieces to install different engines. A lot had shoddy fiberglass repairs. It would be great to have an original mirror but as you say there arent any. I may manufacture the clips myself when I find the one I have. Just need to look into the cost of laser cutting. They're simple to make. If so will make a lot in case anyone else needs them. On my car the only thing that was good was the bodyshell. Apart from the bulkhead which is new, the rest is original. Every other piece of wire, nut, bolt, cable and seal is new. As are the boot boards, carpet and trim. It has been a massive undertaking and expense. If I was paying a company to do this the cost would Have been unaffordable. Especially when you start rebuilding bulkheads and making new wiring looms with upgraded circuits and matching wires. Hope it drives as well as it looks and the engine performs, if it doesn't it's all coming out for another rebuild!

Who out there needs some engine cover flat hooks? Just want to get an idea, it might be impractical to laser cut them, but once I have an idea of numbers I can work it out. The plan would be to cut the pattern for the back and front using an original hook then bend to profile, spot weld together and powder coat in satin black.

I guess SJ must have just had a job lot of the engine cover hooks - I know it's going back a few years, but I bought a set for my old S2.

Anyone able to get them made? I need some and sure plenty of others will need them too, might be worth getting a short run of them made up if can find a manufacturer.

Hi Barry,

Here's a picture you can copy. I did have one and put it somewhere safe. After searching I still can't find it!post-17315-0-42080900-1434732992.jpg it's the double flat hook.post-17315-0-42080900-1434732992.jpg

Have been searching again can't find it anywhere. Would someone be prepared to lend a hook so that I can measure it, take a pattern of each side with a view to maufacture a few? If not maybe someone could measure the thickness and make a paper pattern of each side? Unless of course Barry is able to arrange a few to be made from the picture, but I think an original will still be needed to get the copy accurate.

Hi Vin,

Thanks part of the problem solved. I have material to make the straps. What do you mean base part? Do you mean the bottom part that bolts through? These would be much easier to source from the Internet. Although I have some if a copy is required.

• Gold FFM

Will need one to copy - looks like it's a single piece of metal affair.

I will show the old chap the picture later and see what he thinks

Only here once