Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Have had many offers to lend me a bit thanks Jon, Vin, Matt. Once I get the hook with set about manufacturing a batch. Will convert the hook to a CAD file and proceed as above, assuming the cost is reasonable. Have done a few calcs and with the advent a laser cutting this should be quite easy and cost effective. However I always seem to underestimate things! Will keep you all posted.

I've got one you can strip the outer plastic off if you need to measure accurately.

A number of years ago I had the wheel caps reproduced as I wasn't happy with the repro ones which are available. The outlay was about £700 (including the one off tooling charge) and I had enough made which I sold to recover the money. I didn't do it to make a profit but I made my money back as everybody who bought some shared the burden.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Have finally put one off the door windows in. By far this is the worst job to do. It's messy and difficult. The door design in my opinion is flawed. The gap for the window is too wide for the glass. And the glass shape doesn't match the door frame. Which is probably why the channel is so wide. Would have been a lot easier with the original seal. I think I have got it as good as I can. Still have the other one to do! This time I used Dinitrol. Just have to let it set and clean up.

With the second one I'm going to glue the spacers in position before applying Dinitrol . These use a very small Nozzel to inject the Dinitrol. Hopefully this will work better than putting Dinitrol in the channel first!

Are you guys aware these are identical to the jack tie down straps on the later models - Unless they are a different size they are visually identical to  my S3 Turbo, including the staple.  

I now have 6 inertial reels and four seat belt stalks, Kangol! Don't ask me how - if anyone would like to buy some I'll be listing on ebay - think I may sell some of the other bits too. They work but need cleaning not brilliant condition, but might be useful.

Are you guys aware these are identical to the jack tie down straps on the later models - Unless they are a different size they are visually identical to  my S3 Turbo, including the staple.  

Interesting spot by Steve. Yes, the S3 Turbo has two such straps that hold the jack down according to the parts manual

post-3309-0-21079900-1434916520.png

The front one (023 = A079U4033F) shares the same part number as the S1 engine cover tie down. The rear one (024 = A082U5024F) is different - I guess a bit longer.

Fabian, it might be worth ringing Bell and Colville or some of the other parts suppliers to see if they can get hold of A082U5024F as an alternative for you as they seem to list it on their website 

http://parts.bellandcolvill.co.uk/15701-r-b-a082u5024f.html?search_query=A082U5024F&results=1

Thanks Steve, Barry and Jon. Didn't realise the significance! Bell and Coville are about 5 mins away. Will pop over tomorrow and ask them. Wouldn't that be any easy solution! Fingers crossed. Are all the parts for the S3 still stocked?

• Gold FFM

That's out of the Stevens 88-90 parts list - been hunting on SJs no luck.

Just going to look through the s4 parts

Only here once

Have put the second window in the drivers door. Took much less time and a better dinish than the other side. This I think is the optimum solution.

1. Clamp the frame into a work bench.post-17315-0-16991300-1434980898.jpg the frame must not move around otherwise the glass will move.

2. Glue spacer blocks made fro hard rubber to the edge using super glue. Put glass into frame and screw lower part to a piece of wood. Ensure glass is central in frame.

3. Use dinitrol or alike ( enusre at correct temp or will be difficult to extrude from gun) use a fine nozzel and inject sealant into gap. Use a clean razor blade to smooth off. Remove excess.

This method seemed to work quite well.

post-17315-0-85261900-1434981261.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the seatbelt inertial reel as originally fitted, did it haveca cover? Cheers.

Yes they had a cover.

Have called Bell and Coville the strap hook is obsolete for the S1/S2/S3/S4 and V8! Thanks for all the help anyway.

I think they went obsolete in the 90s.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Have started to assemble the side mirror. The ball joint that came with it is too loose to work. Fiberglassed the aluminium support into the mirror case. Then intend to fiberglass a piece of stainless steel across the front and screw a socket joint to it. The front glass will be glued to the backing plate which is screwed to the ball. The glass will then press on.

Actually just remembered now have 8 reels and six seat belt stalks, may start a shop!

Wow the copy I made of my mirror has worked its way all over the world and now onto your car hahaha

I've lent it to somebody in Belgium and Australia so far. It's becoming the best traveled mirror in the business!

It will be good if you re-make the straps :unworthy:

Edited by Paul Coleman

Don't know where the mirror came from, it came with the car? Dont know how you guys got these cars back together so quickly. Mine seems to have gone quickly and then come to a halt! Still waiting for Steve to do the dash and then will get the instruments sorted.