Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 42 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Took the binnacle apart again! Took about two hours to take apart and reassemble. Top tip use 10 mm bolts for the two rear binnacle fixings, with 8 mm thread. Anything smaller is very difficult to bolt back on! Swapped the instrument mask to the outside of the perspex, tested it and put back together. Radiator is now working as before. So engine cover going back on. Only job left clean glue of the bulkhead. Having done this so many times now there are two ways that work. Use evostick glue remover from Homebase or hot water and a scraper. Either method works but takes a lot of time and effort. Do a bit each day is the best way. 

Paul,  I'm hoping to get a few miles out of this before I have to do something to the engine! 

Started to do the final detailing whilst waiting for the trim. The rubber stopper that goes on the spring in the tailgate is available from S and J! But difficult to find on their site!image.jpg.b15ec91e4d1673643f9676d3bc75f3

Christmas has come early for all S1 owners! Uk sports cars have this for sale, more pictures on their website. A snip at £50k. There seems to be a lot of Esprits parked up in exotic European locations, just need to find them! image.jpg.b6f6b0d86529308adf17f9c529e58c

On 19/11/2015, 09:58:48, Lotusfab said:

Christmas has come early for all S1 owners! Uk sports cars have this for sale, more pictures on their website. A snip at £50k. There seems to be a lot of Esprits parked up in exotic European locations, just need to find them! image.jpg.b6f6b0d86529308adf17f9c529e58c

My Grandad always said "You can ask what you like but getting it is the clever bit!" However, having said that I don't think £50k would actually tempt me to sell.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Think you would have to be a genius to get one of these off the wife!

Paul, have you had a look at the website for this car, its quite interesting?

I believe my car was driven by Roger Moore and has been stored in Geneva for about 10 years.????

Ebay, £40, pricey but the only game in town. Theres another two on there for the S1 ( one white and one orange) and an S2 brochure which is reasonably priced. Why is it as soon as you say S1 its four times as much? Have finally got the Jack with one of our Dutch members coming to the rescue. Think he has another Jack for sale if anyone needs one? Now only missing the wheel brace and the bag which i think Lotus bits may have. Still no trim so waiting patiently. Still scraping bulkhead glue after two weeks!

On 22 November 2015 at 07:23:57, Lotusfab said:

Think you would have to be a genius to get one of these off the wife!

Paul, have you had a look at the website for this car, its quite interesting?

I believe my car was driven by Roger Moore and has been stored in Geneva for about 10 years.????

I believe my car was driven by Santa Claus and stored in Greenland for 10 years.  :-)

• Like 1

In truth alas I can claim no such heritage. Think one of the previous owners was a chav and  had really poor taste wrecking most of the original features. The only thing I can claim is it will be a pretty accurate, no expense spared, copy of the Bond car and there are a lot of attempts out there! Every day for almost two years in the making. 

Hope I get the interior back for international lotus day next year.

Well after a very long wait hope to get some of the interior back from Steve. Have almost finished stripping the bulkhead again! Any thinners seems to remove the glue. Having tried everything the easiest way by far is to use thinners and sandpaper. 

Have been watching the Spy Who Loved Me again to get some motivation. For the first time I noticed there is a periscope screen located where the VDO clock is on later cars. Hence Im looking for a VDO clock if anyone has one for sale?

image.jpg.d64bf9c6f01d943a8dc9b1622a824aimage.jpg.dec763f11234b6982f40ba5fa14122image.jpg.f71002b42f05c480b5b86cd3be361eFound an interesting article concerning the bond car. Here it is.

You can see from the article the bond  S1 was the only S1 fitted with a periscope screen between the sun visors!

That car turned out not to be the actual Bond car in the end. The film was shot in 76 and from memory that was a 77 car and the owner some how got a letter from Lotus confirming it was the Bond car. I believe a collector in the US bought it for £100k at auction and then got his money back when it turned out to be the wrong car.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire