Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 53 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Been really enjoying this thread, great to see these updates and shared knowledge all in good humour considering a lot of these tasks sound frustrating at times.
I've always wanted one since seeing TSWLM 39 years ago when released in the cinema.
Although I have always had a passion for cars I am certainly no mechanic and living in London with no garage doesn't help either but I hope one day I'll take ownership of an S1 once I leave the big city although I imagine they'll be even more expensive when that time comes.

Anyway, the photo above at The London Classic Car show & the video you mentioned were ones I took there last Friday.
I took many other photographs of OPH 633R which I am happy to upload here if you guys wish (and I hope that is okay with the owner Constantine).

I also have another question regarding PPW 306R, I know the car is still in the Dezer Collection (shame it's not here in England) but has anyone found out the whereabouts of the other road car that was used as a camera car? Also, does the prop car still exist that was used for the interior shots with the revolving instrument binnacle?
Sorry if these questions have been answered already elsewhere.

Best regards

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks! Enjoyed seeing the pictures of Cos's car. Saw the pictures of the Dezer collection car. The best authority on Bond cars is Steve Fulcher who's dad Nick did the trimming for the movie. He has just finished the tunnel and headliner on my car, with the clock which was the periscope screen - the bond car was the only S1 with a clock! Lotus thought what a great idea and added the clock to the S2. There are a lot of would be bond cars out there and all the info on them is very sketchy. The best person around who can authenticate one is probably Steve Fulcher, as he knows his dad's work. Hope you get a car and you will already be prepared for the ups and downs having read our threads. I've just gone down another snake in the Lotus game of snakes and ladders with the wiper system. Good luck.

Stunning job on the trim by Steve, look forward to fitting it all! Ps Thanks to Colin (Red Leader)for the headliner.

If anyone needs an ashtray Steve can get them made. S and J can make new headliners with a clock holder. In my opinion Steve trimming is perfect. He's the only trimmer with all the original patterns and knowledge how to trim the Esprit to this standard. 

image.jpeg.f1635b659d0f5bb5ecdde0c31e5e7image.jpeg.6f0794b6a0d3b53706cc45db45cc5

Have spent about three hours trying to get the tunnel to fit with the radio, nearly there! Heres a picture of the choke linkage for anyone who needs to fit one.image.jpeg.fcd17a4f3e96bea3d28e3597a7671

The metal ball end of the choke cable fits through the hole in the choke linkage. The choke switch fits through the hole in the choke lever.

The braket is riveted on then the clip comes from S and J. 

8 hours ago, Lotusfab said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Clock in, thanks Roo (v8vantage) who posted and supplied it from Oregon USA!image.jpeg.d15d2f451df2b203fe6a165352a2f

Looking good Fabian, should be one of the best, if not the best, Esprit around when you finish it.

IMG_2017.JPG

Well got the tunnel in after a lot of adjustment. The choke linkage needs more work as the nut for the switch is missing! So will have to dismantle the top part again. But at least all the screws and stereo are in. Wonder what tape to play? Good job I found this one lying around!image.jpeg.6343ca5b41754e14b69fd166b2451ximage.jpeg.7995c8205bcb6f78df0443ea5a1ad

• Like 2

Window motors. 

Whilst my windows are in pieces have decided to revisit the motors. Have taken them to pieces and removed all of the old grease with brake dust cleaner and fine brush. Have bought multi purpose waterproof grease to lubricate all the parts. The brushes are 6x6 MM available from eBay and about 13mm long. Have cleaned  up the commutator and will soon reassemble. 

S and J sell refurbed motors but as long as the windings and gears are good I think it's unnecessary to change them. Will give the wiper motor the same treatment and see if it cures the problem. If anyone is interested can post some pictures of the delco motors? 

10 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

S and J sell refurbed motors but as long as the windings and gears are good I think it's unnecessary to change them. Will give the wiper motor the same treatment and see if it cures the problem. If anyone is interested can post some pictures of the delco motors? 

Yes please. Invaluable for future reference Fabian. Cheers