Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 59 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

image.jpeg

Part 22 had dropped out of the lower wishbone 16. Should be a tight friction fit. Not sure if the universal joint is the correct size so have ordered a new one! If anyone is wondering what this feels like when driving, it's a bit like the wheels about to fall off! What an odd design. There seems to be nothing really apart from friction holding it in!???????????

Have to say the tester did a great job, very thorough and found the exhaust leak very quickly! Mind you it helps a lot if you have all the kit and a proper car lift. He also found the joint problem. Now just need to fix it but held up by parts. If have an S2 type exhaust with centre silencer, thus is the bit with a hole in. Am putting it back to pure S1 with just a centre pipe. Will be noisier but that's good! The pulleys have arrived to rebuild the window guides. Will post when I get onto them. Have ordered some new headlight adjusting bolts from Bresco. The original ones are worn. Nearly beaten this car now, I hope!

Has anyone please got a picture of their unmodified S1 or S2 headlamp pod showing the adjusting screws and which side they are on. Am going to have a go realigning the headlamps using a guide from the Internet. Seems straightforward if you have a white wall and 25 ft of level surface!

Inciidently the answer to some of your parts problems "Bresco", have been watching these guys for a while. Their stock keeps expanding and they have all manner of bits that will fit the S1/2 at reasonable prices!

will be fitting the window pulleys today so will post a few bits. Hopefully the old ones aren't welded on!

image.jpeg

Well was told the shafts for the wheels either screwed or clipped on. That would have been to easy for an Esprit. Will have to make new shafts! Need a lathe for this!

Ball joint: be very careful not to pinch the rubber boots when pressing in. They do go in fairly easily but might be a bench job unless you have a very heavy duty clamp.

Does this pic help?

image.jpeg

Edited by Rolls

Timage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegThanks for the pic. Was trying to get a picture of the front of the pod with the beam adjusting screws on the edge of the chrome rims. Wanted to confirm I have put mine back correctly as they were in a million pieces when I got them. This is what I did.  Thanks.

Thanks Paul, drivers side pod? That makes sense as it can be adjusted up/ down and left as you look out of the windscreen.

Looks like disputed all my efforts, I may not make it to Brooklands. Have just had a very close inspection of the lower link driverside. It appears the hole for the lower ball joint is enlarged( assuming correct ball joint). The ball joint splines can be pushed in by hand up to three quarters, this seems far too loose! I have a new one arriving tomorrow. Will measure it with a micrometer and if it's the same size,  then the lower link has had it! Not sure how feasible it is to weld and redrill? S and J do modified ones but this will be a very expensive solution. If anyone has a lower wishbone I'm your man. Will try lotus Bits and PMN. 

I don't remember pressing those ball joints out and fitting replacements being a difficult job, I don't have a press so would have improvised - its possible your lower link is ok and thats 'just the way they are'. Others may chime in with their thoughts.  You could always tack weld the ball joint in if it worries you.

If not the pair of refurb'ed ones from SJ isn't bad value I think considering the work involved.  Failing all that, I do have a spare pair of lower link arms, but they will need blasting and painting. 

I used a press to fit my lower ball joints but don't remember needing a massive force to do it. Make sure the one you get has the modified bush on the other end as the original ones were terrible. The ones SJ sell are modified to take the better bush.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks. I'm hoping the Ball joint is a copy part and slightly small! If not guess S and Js the best bet. It's scary if that joint drops out, like the wheels about to collapse. At least just about every part will be new on this car! 

Speedo is now causing problems, the needle is rubbing on the Perspex and sticking, binnacle has to come apart again!!! Will have to make up a solution as there's no adjustment I know of? The needle looks bent outwards which doesn't help.

Virtually every S1 has bent needles which touch the glass. I used a heat gun but it's a difficult judgement call about how hot to get it. I found that even after bending them they moved back to some degree... it's a larf innit?

I did my bj's last week. I also used a press but it went in relatively easily. A video or even a heavy duty clamp would do the job. As mentioned before watch out for the rubber boots.

Try these pics.

image.jpeg

Edited by Rolls

Thanks. 

Well parts arrived. The wrong size ball joint was installed!! The new one so far has defied all my clamp attempts to push in. Need a proper ball joint installation tool! Option B remove lower link and go down to a garage and get them to press it in! wI'll replace the other side as a matter of course even though it's new the ball joint may not be correct.

lights now set, thanks all,for the pics. Set it roughly will let the garage fine tune.

Exhaust fitted with no middle silencer - sounds awesome and runs much better.

Speedo fixed, bent needle back slightly and shimmed out Perspex.

So just the ball joint problem and the window left!

Can't you stick that corner of the car on an axle stand and then put the ball joint in and stick a jack under it. If you jack it up to the point where the car lifts that should give you enough force to push it in.

Good idea, tried that and the whole car lifted, might have another go tomorrow. Unless, I get bored and remove the lower wishbone and head down the local garage!

Nice one. Not wishing to rain on your parade, but you should probably check out the other side ball joint as well. It's possible that the previous owner fitted the wrong joint on there too and you just haven't noticed it yet.